icon

Do I need a capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mikeyman1978 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

Hi there this is my first post as i hear its best place to get help. Ok heres the system ill be putting in my car

2 JL W'10s in a bandpass box

Mono VPower Alpine(to power the sub) [MRP-M350]

JL 6.5 components (TR 650csi)

JL 5.25 (TR 525cxi)

4 VPower Channel Alpine amp( to power the 4 speakers) [MRP-F240]

JVC KD-S890 mp3 player

Now my question is DO i need a farad capacitor for this system? or will my car be fine without it

thanks

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
With that amount of power, you shouldn't need a capacitor.
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
I'd have to agree, your not pushing over whelming power so I dont really think you'd need it. I usually dont recomend a cap unless your pushing over 6-800 watts or your lights start dimming.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Mikeyman1978 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Ok that sounds good saves me some more money, ill know in about 5 more days when its all installed if my lights dim, cannot wait to get it all in.

Thanks Guys

Mike

southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
even if your lights start dimming your best bet is to get a bigger alt. that will give u more power than a cap. cuz even with the cap your alt has to work that much harder to supply the cap with power. plus all the car needs as well. so if that happ just get a bigger alt.
southsider
Mikeyman1978 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Yes but wouldnt it be cheaper to get a cap rather than a new alternator? I can buy a cap off of ebay for pretty cheap but new alts cost $100's
southside 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
it would be cheaper now yes. but after a while u will have to replace the alt because u require too much power for your alt to put out. you will fry a couple of alt. until u get a bigger one that can handleputting that much power out all the time. u can get a cap it does help but in the long run u will more trouble if u don't get a bigger alt than getting a cap. i thought that a cap would help to. search the forum an there alot of people that asked about caps an all will say what i'm am suggesting to u. getting an alt will be your best bet down the road. but it's all up to u though. best of luck.
southsider
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

Southside is right on, a cap is NEVER the way to solve the problem of your alternator not being able to keep up with system demand.  A stiffening capacitor is designed to help an amplifier maintain power output by dampening the small voltage ripples caused by demand spikes when your system is operating near peak output.  A capacitor WILL NOT, under any circumstances, increase your system voltage nor increase system current capacity beyond what the alternator can supply.  In every case, if you are installing a system that will demand more amps from your alternator than it can produce, you need to upgrade the alternator.

Would a capacitor help your system?  Maybe.  Is it necessary?  No.

Support the12volt.com
southside 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
i learn from the best  :)
southsider
metalgear 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
Heh, i have a cap hooked up to my vehicle and my lights still dim.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic