icon

Slotted ports?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

I've been seeing more and more boxes with slotted, rectangular ports.  I'm going to be building a new box soon for a single12" and was planning on building this type of port.   Besides looking pretty damn cool, how do they differ from round ports?  Do they sound different?  How do I determine the size of a slot port.  I was planning on building the port out of 1/4-1/2" MDF, is this the proper material?

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
slotted ports are usually better for spl, the size is determined just by the volume formula of cylinders and squares. figure out the area of the round port you would use and convert that to the area of the square one.  the port is usually made out of the same 3.4" mdf that the box is made out of because most times it is just build into the box for extra strength.
Quad L Handyman services
alex75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, you said better for SPL.  I'm trying to build a better SQ system, should I stick with good ole' round ports?  How much will slotted ports reduce my SQ?  I'm not competing or anything but want a nice, balanced sound.  I want my music to sound good, but it also has to hit!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
Slotted ports arn't just for spl. Many high quality home and car audio subs use them (like my velodyne home theater sub). If your round ports arn't flared you can end up with some port noise, slotted ports avoid this.
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

if your doing SQ, go sealed.  sealed boxes are the  way most professional competitors go when they do SQ.  you have a broader frequency response range and you can use a much smaller box. besides that judges don't like a lot of bass when they judge SQ.  the only reason some people go vented is because every 3 DB over 130 is a free point in SQ, because when you do SQ you also have to run your car on the meter. 

square, circle, and slotted ports all have the same sound, the only use for different ones is box volume and tuning frequency.  before you build your box be sure you know what frequency you sub can play to because many subs that are entry level will blow themselves apart if they go to low. 

what!?!?! you want some??
alex75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't decided on a sub yet, but pretty much have it narrowed down to a few choices; Pheonix gold Tantrum 12, Alpine Type R or S, Adire Shiva ( never heard but highly reccomended by all), Kicker SoloL5 or Comp VR.  I know the kickers aren't the best for SQ, but boy do they hit hard.  Like I said, I want a balance bet. SQ and Ass-kicking bass. I just got back from a local store and listened to the Tantrums and as of now, they are my 1st choice.  A lot of people reccomend the Alpines as a very balanced sub, but as I've only owned their amps, so I don't really know.  All I know is that I can spend $150 or less on a single sub.
alex75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't decided on a sub yet, but pretty much have it narrowed down to a few choices; Pheonix gold Tantrum 12, Alpine Type R or S, Adire Shiva ( never heard but highly reccomended by all), Kicker SoloL5 or Comp VR.  I know the kickers aren't the best for SQ, but boy do they hit hard.  Like I said, I want a balance bet. SQ and Ass-kicking bass. I just got back from a local store and listened to the Tantrums and as of now, they are my 1st choice.  A lot of people reccomend the Alpines as a very balanced sub, but as I've only owned their amps, so I don't really know.  All I know is that I can spend $150 or less on a single sub.
Pola_Trucos 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all. I'm loocking for 2 new subs. I have two kicker L7 12's going sealed and my God, they are loud but they dont play well low frequencies. I want to sell them and move to sound quality. What subs you people think I should get. Any brand but not above 150 bucks.

Dont use ten words when 5 will do fine.
ss586 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
I had a slotted type ported box in my previous car and it was very comparable to a sealed box as far as SQ. Also, with a slot style port you should have less port noise.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic