icon

Alpine CDA-7897 would not open

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hello All, I just bought a CDA-7897 from ebay. I connected all the wires as per the color code chart and the face does not open! I also tried the reset switch. This is what it does when I press the open button. The motor makes a sound for a second or two, it comes out like 2 millimeters, then it stops, the motor also stops. I can see lights inside the unit so it seems that the unit might work if I can get the face to open. Also whenI shut the ignition, it goes in properly after 15 seconds ( Iike I said it comes out for a couple of millimeter, so on shutting it goes in again)
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Is there anyway I can get this to work? I stay in Troy (near Albany) NY. If someone is in this area, can u suggest me a place where I can go and get it fixed?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

you can pull on it, and push it back it.......

But seriously, iv seen that a few times , its a $15 part, , average repair cost is around $100.

You should bitch and get your money back from that guy on e-bay.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
thanks jason, I also tried to pull it out, it didn; come out. but I did not pull very hard, fearing I will break something. Do I have to pull very hard, looks like something is stopping it from coming out
also, what is that $15 part. is it difficult to fix it? any tricks/suggestions you can give me on fixing this? For now, even if I can get the screen out and able to play cds, i ll be satisfied. That ebay guy makes money by selling junk "as is" and ll not refund anything. I just made a fool of myself :(
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
Ebay is usually pretty good about helping you get your money back. Did he say in the auction that the player was sold as-is, or that there was an issue with the faceplate? Hopefully we can get you some type of deal worked out. Let us know!
Tim-May!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

i don't know how hard it is to replace the part, or what part number it is.  i just have sent a few back to service and read the service forms when they came back.   It was usually a leaver and a spring.  But iv also seen dirt on the gears preventing it from comming out, which may be your case as whell.

If you live in ontario Canada i can get you a number for alpine's service center.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Blitz2rush 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 4:42 AM / IP Logged  

when you hooked up your wires, did you match the colors to the factory harness or did you match the colors to the aftermerket harness. I burnt up a Kenwood CD player, using a bad harness. There is 2 available harnesses for the 4 runner, atleast in my year there is. It worked for a little bit, then it stuynk and it was bad. YEa, I wanted to fight the oh so smart car audio business owner, especially after he called me a liar, because I said that there was 2 and not one. LOL. Don't be so dependent on what everyon tells you about that. I had to rewire a harness, because nobody here had the right one.

To live is to suffer/but to survive/well thats to find meaning/in the suffering
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

Abt, ebay, yes the seller did specify that the unit is untested and sold as is. I guess I got greedy and thought if it works 200 dollars for CDA7897 would be great. Anyways, I can only try to fix it and save the money now.

I matched the aftermarket harness which was already there, but the connections look alright to me, the warness is not only color coded, it also has the things printed on it, so I can match it with those in the unit.  I had a panasonic unit earlier which worked perfectly.

I did make some progress since last 2 days. When I pressed the bottom of the unit hard, it made a bad motor noise and it came out like 10 to 15 mm, so that I can hold and pull. I pulled it. and when I switch it off it does go back, but on starting it wont come out and I have to pull. But, the unit still doesnt work!!! It has a CD stuck in it, it plays with wierd sudden noises and very low volume even at max! DId anyone have problem like that ?. when I try to eject it it tries to eject two to three times and then gives up and gives me this error message: "ERROR" I checked the manual and it says I have to call the alpine dealer. WHen I go back home tonight I will try to press reset again and then try to eject as it says inthe manual. ANy more suggestions??

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like the next stop for this unit is ebay.... again.Alpine CDA-7897 would not open - Last Post -- posted image.
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I might sell it but only if I get it fixed! I called Alpine to know if there is any alpine service center in the area. the closest is in syracuse (3hrs) and they say they will fix it (if they can) for a flat rate of $112 plus tax.Good thing abt this service center (United Radio) is that they said if they cannot fix I just pay the shipping.
So with shipping etc the total money I spent on this would be close to 350 (assuming it gets fixed, I could have easily got a new one with little more money!) Atleast I learnt a lesson!! Cheap stuff ain't good and good stuff ain't cheap!
I have some more questions, one about MB quart speakers and other abt entire system in another posts, if you are interested and can help!
Thanks everyone!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic