icon

enclosure volume for speakers/sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
I am planning to install 6.5 inch (boston acoustics RM6) in the rear, 50 RMS and also 8 inch ( pair) rockford fosgate subs in the rear of my 86 4runner. I was trying to learn abt enclosure volume calculation but found that there are too many parameters! This may not be a good question to ask, but isn't there a simple rule of thumb to calculate volume based on just the speaker size and rms rating?
Also, usually they talk about enclosures for woofers (and rarely for speakers, correct me, I am too ignorant) Why? There is no standard location for rear speakers in my truck so I thought I will make enclosures for them too.
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

Woofer is a term commonly used instead of speaker, i don't know why, but i don't mind.

What model subs do you have? let us know this and we can determine the size enclosure needed.

Also, unfortunetly, there is no blanket statement for enclosures based on size and power rating.

toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks DJ, I bought a pair of Rockford Fosgate (used) 8 inch subs from ebay and the seller says they are 400 watts 8 ohms.   Also can u help me with this: I am thinking of powering them with MTX 275X, is this a good match? I also have kenwood KAC- 648s 4 channel amp. Can I power 2 Boston acoustics RM6 (50rms) AND these two subs from the same (kenwood amp) or that will be too less power?
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

i would say go with any where from .35 ft3 per sub to .75 ft3 per sub.  That is the usual air space need for 8" subs.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
You may also be limited in the airspace that is available behind the plastic interior panel and the metal skin of the vicle and whatever crossmembers may be there. I had one of those exact vehicle back in the day and it just wailed with what I did to it. I would mount the good 6.5" speakers up from in the doors, low in the door if you have manual window cranks and get a tweeter up high somewhere on the door. The subs should fit in a small box of up to about .8 cu.ft. and fit in between the roll bars quite easily.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2004 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
u r right forbidden, i have very little space btween the plastic panel and the metal. the front doors have power windows and i think the space is not sufficient for the RM6's. I was thinking abt the space near the rear seat. (there is a rectangular space with a small basket to keep things) What do u thing of that space?
alpesh
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
You could try mounting the subs like this guy did in back. Then mount your coaxials upfront in  kick panels or something. Use the MTX amp for the subs and use two of the channels on the Kenwood amp for the Boston coaxials.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic