icon

4 inch recommendations? Boston FX4

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, I am planning to replace my MB quarts (3.5 inches) on the dash with 4 inch speakers. ( people interested in the 3.5 inch MBquarts can PM me). What are good 4 inch coaxials in the market? I was thinking of boston FX4.  ANy reviews on these speakers? I am looking for 50 W RMS speakers which will be powered by an amplifier (50W RMSper channel)

Also I might consider to install components (4 inch woofer on dash and tweeter on the doors) ANy recommendations on 4 inch components?

Thanks!

alpesh

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Saw the other post, answered my own question. If you are going to do components, do a set of 6.5" components and put both into the door. The woofer must down by the map pocket and may require the relocation or removal of the map pocket if the truck has one. My 86 4runner did. You can easily get a larger component speaker into those doors. In some cases the window track needs to be spaced and you also have to allow for clearance of the window cranks (unless you have power windows).

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden, I have power windows will there be room for speakers on the door? the whole door seems to be so thin (as compared to new vehicles) so I doubt I ll be able to put something like 2.5 inch deep. May be you can suggest some speakers which don't have much depth.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Bang on about the door being thin. In order to mount a larger woofer in the door a couple of things need to be done.  Move the map pocket back about 8". Where the map pocket used to be is where the mount for the new speaker will go. Inside the door at the bottom is a bolt that holds the window track in place. By removing the bolt and replacing with a longer one and a spacer in the center, you can infact move that window track backwards quite a bit before it will actually put pressure on the window motor itself. I'll bet at least an inch. (Been a long time since I did this in that vehicle). The woofer will also have to be cut in below the small piece that limits the travel on the door (my very first vehicle I actually cut into the door for my speaker, mounted it, wired it up and promptly closed the door - this resulted in this little piece of metal destroying my speakers) (See guys I was once a newbie). Once you have spaced the window track you should be able to measure how much space you have from the track to the metal of the door skin. After that you can build out from the door panel however much you need to with mdf rings to mount the woofer in. The bigger the woofer's mounting depth, the larger width of the rings.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic