icon

Dragster Amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nitto7 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

hello everyone, has anyone here had any experiences with dragster amps? My brother just purchased a DA-604 for about 450.  He had it installed professionally  but when they hooked it up they connected the bazooka sub to 2 channels bridged. while the other 2 channels are going to sony 3 1/2 in the dash.  So you can only turn it up so loud before the front speakers start to distort.  I dont know why they didnt connect the 31/2 sonys to the HU when they installed it.  Im sure they would sound fine on 24watt rms. 

We tried looking it up on the net but everything about them seems to be in a different language.  He has the manual but it isnt specific to that amp, more like the whole line of dragster amps.  If anyone knows any of the specs about it I would greatly appreciate it. 

Restored '79 Firebird
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Dragster Car Audio is an Italian company who re-labels equipment manufactured in China with their own name.  The product website is http://www.dragster.ch/

The DA-604 is their older line from their "Competition" series and is rated at around 60 watts X 4.  There could be many reasons that your dash speakers are distorting, including that they can't handle the power, or the amp is set up wrong (gain too high) or the fact that the amp is simply not a high-quality piece of equipment.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Wrong crossover point for the 3.5" and the gain is way too high, the preout on the cd player could also be clipping, if the bass is turned up on the cd player, turn it back to zero.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mpyrol 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

I was looking for Dragster product and ran across this post.  

Just to clarify, Dragster is a company based in Italy and while importing some chinese product, the amp you have is not. It is manufatured in Italy along with several other major name brands. In fact some amps labled made in USA have partial board assemblies made on the same machines that the dragster boards are assembled on.

The amp is a solid 50X4 at 12v and more than enough for your application if set up properly. If channels are available with an active crossover they should always be used. The HU has no crossover and will be limited in power at low frequency. Using the amp is better as it has a crossover.

Bri

nitto7 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks for the info, even if it did take a little while.  We since fixed the problem with the speakers.  The installer had the gains for both sets of channels turned right up so the amp was most likely clipping.  We adjusted the gains properly and it makes all the difference.  Its amazing how much info you can learn from just reading all the different posts on this site. Once again, thanx all for the input. 
Restored '79 Firebird

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic