icon

XM Radio Roady

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fyvve 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
So i have a delphi roady.  Its made to plug into the cigarette adapter but i dont like to have anything in there because it gets in the way.  Do  I have any options?  I was thinking about wiring another cigarette lighter in an out of way place by just tapping into the wires on my factory lighter.  Is that a good idea?  Any other ideas?  I dont think it will matter but just in case this is in a 92 honda prelude. 
Vive el Che
hawkinstaller02 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

You should be ok to cut the part that plugs into the cig. lighter off and just hard wire the wires to switched power.  Be sure to see which wire of the 2 is the power wire and which is the ground.  the wire that goes to the middle of the plug is power (you might have to take the plug apart to tell) You can use the power from behind the plug if you want. (ingition wires would be better) 

BE SURE TO FUSE YOUR POWER WIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did that work???????
-Installer-
fyvve 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks man.  I am pretty new to this sort of stuff so please bare with me.  Now you're sure i can cut off the lighter adapter part?  I mean i dont want ot fry my new roadie before i even listen to it.    Also, how exactly do i fuse the power source?  Thanks again for the quick response.
Vive el Che
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

make sure to check the polarity of the connector BEFORE you hard wire it in ..... also a lot of the cig lighter adapters are fused internally, so take it apart to see what amperage or milliamperage they fused it at and replicate this value in the fuse holder that you use.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
hawkinstaller02 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

If you do not want to cut the plug off:  go to radio shack or something like it and buy a female cig. plug.  It should have 2 wires on it, one for power, one for gound.   Connect  these 2 wires to power and ground.  Run your wire from roady behind dash where you made these connections and plug the cig plug from roady into the new plung you just installed, tape all connections, and where the new plugs connect; or go to a stereo shop and have them hard wire it for you.  

hope this helps

Did that work???????
-Installer-
fyvve 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet sounds pretty good.  I have this thing that you plug a fuse into and then 1 wire comes out of one side of the fuse holder and then into the other side.  Is that a fuse holder?  I am pretty sure it is but i have no idea how to use it.  I mean its a friggin loop of wire with each end inside the fuse holder thing.  I know this must be annoying but i really want to learn this stuff and this is the only resource i have.  Thanks again for the help guys
Vive el Che
oldsbravo5 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

Get an inline fuse.  An inline fuse is made up of 1) two plastic "covers" that cover the actual fuse, and 2) the fuse itself.  The fuse itself is a tube like piece of glass which has a copper wire inside. The copper wire is made to "blow" if the current or amperes of the circuit get to high.  When the fuse blows, it breaks the circuit by breaking the power flow from the battery to the load, and in your case, it's the XM Roady.  Every fuse has a numerical rating which indicates the amount of current that it can handle before breaking the circuit.  A 5 AMP fuse can handle a current of up to 5 amps and so on.  Your fuse must be located between the power source and the XM unit, thus making it inline.  The two plastic covers that I mentioned before can be seperated for checking the fuse and installing a new one. 

How you wire it is up to you.  You can either run the power wire directly from the battery.  If you do this, you must install a switch after the fuse so the roady isn't drawing current 24/7.  That would be my last choice.  You could also splice the power wire into a wire behind the dash that only gets power when the key is set to "ACC" or "on."  And of course, after the splice on the wire that is going to the Roady, a fuse is needed.

Hope this answers a few of your questions

Bravadas are cool
fyvve 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
yeah awesome man.  Where can i get one of those inline fuses?  Autoparts store or will i have to go to a car audio\alarm place?
Vive el Che
oldsbravo5 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Inline fuses can be used for other applications other than car audio.  Any autoparts store or hardware store that is even close to being reputable will have one.  Car audio stores will also carry them.  You can also buy the actual fuse at the same place.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask the sales person.  Its definately worth 5 minutes of their time and yours to learn how to do it right.  But, you can always ask on here too...
Bravadas are cool

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic