the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp turning its self down?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Something new I have just discovered is that I have a kinda popping noise coming from one sub. I thought it might be tinsel lead slap so I checked it and sure enough it is. I've searched on here to find some posts to help me out but they didn't help me any. Could this be affecting the load that the amp sees from this sub making the amp lower output? I've checked the other sub and it is working fine. What's the safest way to fix the tinsel lead?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

That's a hard question about repairing the tensel.  The tensel lead is probably hitting on the chasis of your sub causing it to go into partial protection causing it to play low.  Once the amp thinks everything is ok your amp returns to normal mode and plays loud again.  You will want to correct the tinsel lead problem because everytime it causes your amp to go into protection mode it weakens the amp.  You can try putting tape on you sub chasis to keep it from shorting if that is what cut the lead.  Other than that you might want to get a new sub or a new set of subs.  Sounds like the amp may be pushing the subs beyond there limit or you can be giving them to high levels of distortion causing them to lose control and bounce too much.

T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
I took the sub out of the box and played that sub only while watching the leads. The sound went away when I pushed the leads down towards the spider right by the speaker connections. The amp was still playing at full power while I did this. There is a place here in town that repairs speakers that I can take my sub to. As far as the power issue, my amp is rated at 1000w @ 1ohm and that is how I have subs wired. The amp is rated at 1.0% thd at 1ohm. As far as I know, that's within reason. My subs are rated a 500w a piece so I thought they were a good match for eachother.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
waracing 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
I had the same problem, it was the earthing. check all earthing. the wire may seem good but it is not the wire it is were it is going. CHeck your main earthing on your battery and you amp earthing.
Light and fast
cd2478 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  
yes.
T.Hill 
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  
By "earthing" do you mean ground? If so I have checked those. One sub has worked the glue that attaches one tinsel lead to the cone (or voice coil) loose. I'm having it fixed tomorrow. If this doesn't help I'm having the amp benched.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2004 at 7:47 AM / IP Logged  

T.Hill I was doing a little research on MA Audio and I am not sure about the power ratings.  I tried to find out a little about the transistors used in the amps but couldn't find anything.  A good way sometimes to determine what your amp can actually do is by looking at the amount of fuses and there ampre ratings.  Your amp may say 1,000 watts but this may not be the case, you might be seeing 800 watts and the distortion level may be a little skewed.  I am thinking this because I remembered a company a while back that was comparable to pyramid.  This is the same company that makes your amplifier, I am not saying that it is not a good amp but I wanted just wanted you to be aware.  Just for anyone that does not know MA Audio is Mobile Authority under a different name.

T.Hill 
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Are you sure? I have heard people say that and then other people say they aren't the same company. Does anybody out there have a master list as to what companies are the same but just labeled and packaged differet?
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic