3M Electrical tape, which do you use?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
cutdog504 wrote:
i'm with profuse. i go to harbor freight tools and they always have sales with 10 packs for like a $1.99 i actually prefer this cheaper tape over the 3m. for this main reason: i notice that with 3m tape, that if you go to take it off later on down the road, or even have to go back in to splice something else in or something like that, when you untape the wiring it leaves a sticky black tar looking mess. i noticed that the cheap tape from harbor frieght does not do this. it comes off very clean, leaves no residue.
its all about the 33...yeah the difference is 5 years down the road go look at the 33 it will still be tight and wrapped...unlike the cheap tape which after being exposed to the sun or heat there from...the cheap tape will be loose and in some cases even be unwrapped...i think cutdog said it exactly you can just take the tape right off...i think 3m is the un-disputed leader in tape...lol

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
"...i think cutdog said it exactly you can just take the tape right off..."
i didn't mean that "you can just pull it right off" , what i meant was that when you do go to pull it off, it doesnt leave black gooey tar behind, thats all. and if for some reason i want the tape to never come loose, i'll zip tie it after i tape it, no matter which brand i use! don't get me wrong, i occasionally use that 50 cents a roll 3m tartan tape from home depot. but i hate it when i go to istall a radio and cut the radio harness from the dash side harness to splice in a new radio and i peel off the old tape surrounding the bundle of wires only to get sticky black gooey tar all over my hands, crimpers, and everywhere else!
Ashez 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
I use etape from NAPA auto parts
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
3M 33+ no matter what.  that stuff is awsome.  it works well in tight spots and stays no matter what.  no black goo after a few months.  of course it works even better when its applied proplerly.  on  remote starts and alarms, after i solder the wire, ill make two wraps on ign wires and one good one on everything else.  then wrap up the wire trunks back to factory condition.  $4 seems like a lot but i wouldnt have it any other way.
MECP certified installer
13 volts 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Speaking of cheap tools...I would rather lose a Craftsman in a car over a Snap-On or MAC tool. Makes you think twice when the Truck pulls up to your shop.
deviousjoker 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

I use super33+ for all my connections.......then I use some cheap stuff to wrap my alarms.....the main reason......33+ is nice and flexible and it holds real good, but when I use it to wrap my alarms it pulls the wires to tight and then they end up looking like ass........I just bust out the old cheap tape to wrap them because it's not that flexible and when the alarm is wraped up it looks pretty close of factory and as long as you do it right it won't come off down the road.......remember clean wire and clean hands when taping.

13volts......switch to Husky.......the best tool for the money.......I took all my craftsman, snap-on, and matco stuff to home depot and they swapped it all for husky.......couldn't be happier.......by far some of the best quality tools....never broke a husky ratchet....and broke 7 craftsman

First Class MECP Installer
deviousjoker 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2004 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

I use super33+ for all my connections.......then I use some cheap stuff to wrap my alarms.....the main reason......33+ is nice and flexible and it holds real good, but when I use it to wrap my alarms it pulls the wires to tight and then they end up looking like ass........I just bust out the old cheap tape to wrap them because it's not that flexible and when the alarm is wraped up it looks pretty close of factory and as long as you do it right it won't come off down the road.......remember clean wire and clean hands when taping.

First Class MECP Installer
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic