icon

Using Car instead of AAA battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scelsi14 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have been wondering if there is a way to wire a connection for my portable MP3 player from car to use rather than the 1.5 volt AAA battery it currently runs off of. Buying an adapter isn't a possibility because there isn't an alternate power input on the player.
Can I make my own and hook a lead to the ground where the - side of the battery rests and run some sort of voltage regulator to the + side of the battery?
Thanks for any help.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
You most definitely need to use an adapter to change the voltage and amperage input.  I would not try to rig that unit.  Save yourself the time and trouble of ruining it, sell it and buy one with an adapter.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
I agree.  Buy a different player.
Support the12volt.com
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

yea, your best bet would be to sell it and get one with a plug, but if you're hard headed, like me, you're probably gonna try until you break it. in this case, i would find a plug (for the cigarette lighter) and make sure it puts out 1.5v. then just splice into the wire, and connect is to the battery terminals. it'll work. i've done stuff like that before, its just gonna look really ghetto.

1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
greedy111 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Just solder on something like this to the negative and positive terminals of your player.  Then you can get a cigarette lighter adapter which you can then plug into that.  of course the cigarette lighter adapter needs to put out the voltage that is required by your player.

Using Car instead of AAA battery - Last Post -- posted image.

scelsi14 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a lot everyone.
Yes, pimpfromchi, I am also "hard headed" and am working on making it not look so ghetto. I was just worried if something about how a battery worked was different than a hot wire connected to the positive side and another wire connected to the ground rather than the negative side of the battery would somehow short circuit the player.
Greedy, where would I find the thing you have pictured if I need to go that route?
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2004 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
you can just use something like a linear voltage regulator to give you 1.5V and simple solder it across where the battery would be, I have done it before its not a big deal and usually works just fine. Dont hold me responsible if you break it though Using Car instead of AAA battery - Last Post -- posted image. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic