icon

Compustar 2WSS-AS into 98 Cabrio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s4pturner 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I have been on the site a couple times in the last week and this is a really great resource.  Tons of very helpful info and very wise posters.

I have tried searching and have not been able to find specific answers to my questions, maybe you guys can help....

My wife has a 98 VW Cabrio and I am planning on installing said alarm in it while she is out of town, myself.  I have done Stereos and am comfortable with electronics and understand 12 volt power pretty well.  That said, this is the first time I have attempted to install an alarm.  I'm really excited to do the DIY thing, but nervous I don't have all the know how I need.  I have the Haynes Manual for the car and pulled down all the info I could find from this site - I'm just wondering if I missed anything.

A couple of things that are still in the air...  Some of the shops we had talked to mentioned a "factory disable" or something to that effect that needed to be bypassed in some cases.  I don't know if this requires additional hardware or this was the "undercoating" of the alarm world.  I think that they quoted a price of $30-$40, so it cannot be all that complicated.  Also how complicated do things become with a remote start install, nothing was really mentioned on this site about that.  And finally, how difficult will it be to add additional modules later on like proximity, windows, etc.

Compustar 2WSS-AS into 98 Cabrio? - Last Post -- posted image.

TIA, I need all the help I can get.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
if you havent gotten a diagram, heres it is.
-vacuum drlock info is available on this site under relays.
-isolate ur parking wires w/ 1amp diode, band facing the parkin wires.
that should get you started. iono what the guy told you about the factory "alarm" disable (i believe), but it should disarm when you unlock. hence, no need for "factory disable".
****when you get the units all hook up, read the programming of the remote carefully to program it.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
13 volts 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Also: When you finish installing and the rpogramming is becoming a headache, go to a Compustar Seller/Retail location and use the handheld programmer. Using the remote alone to turn on double pulse unlock and to turn off the ignition controlled locks (Both of which I recommend turning off) can be a pain in the @ss.
s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys, by isolating do you mean place the diode between the 2 wires?  Isolation is something I am unfamilier with.

Thanks again for the help, anyone else...

s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I'm in need of some serious help...

I installed the alarm last weekend and everything was working quite well.  The remote start, etc...  Today I was leaving work with the car and tried to remote start it.  Car would not start.  I got in and tried to manually start the car and I get all sorts of activity from the car, but not starting at all.  I have double checked all connections and fuses, I know the tach signal is good.  I have even completely removed the brain from the car and still nothing.  I am completly baffled, especially since the car was working beautifully for nearly a week.  I finally got fed up and push started it, and the car runs like a champ, but still no starter activity.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
if you install a starter kill relay, check on that.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 6:12 AM / IP Logged  
depending on where you've tapped into the starter signal, that may be your problem. for this vehicle (and this generation of vw), it's important to not activate door locks upon ignition on/off. the reason being that when you lock your doors, the factory alarm is active and the factory starter kill will also be active.
to find this factory starter kill, look to the left of the steering column, fairly high almost directly under the light switch. there should be a silver coloured box with 2 plugs of wires coming out of it. this box is your factory alarm. it can be loosened by undoing the 10mm nut that's holding its bracket in place, and then you can work with it a little easier. according to memory, there should be 2 wires on the plug with the thicker gauge wires that are the input and output of the starter kill. i think they're BLACK/ red....or RED / black.
the important thing first though is to disable the ignition controlled door locks on the compustar.
try using your key in the door to see if your factory alarm can be turned on or off. if it's responding normally, then your factory alarm shouldn't be the source of the problem. if it's not though, the fuse for the factory alarm my have blown, and it's not in the normal roll of fuses. it should be on the side or top of the fuse box, usually rated at 10amps.
good luck!
s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  

Great, thanks a lot guys.  I will check into these issues today.  I am aware of the factory alarm module, as this is where I made a lot of my conections.  I may try to un-plug the factory module all together and see if that remedies the situation.

Come to think of it, I did just change an option on the alarm the other day to add lock with ignition, I wonder why the effects were realized a couple of starts later on though...

Once I have located the starter wires of the factory starter kill, should I tap into those with the compustar, or cut them and leave the rest of the module alone?  The factory alarm has not been acting normal however, with the key in the lock the doors will lock but the horn will not sound, I thought I had checked the fuses up above, but will look again.

Thanks again, and if anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2004 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

Well, it ended up being a lose plug on the back of the alarm module... I had checked all of my conections but did not check to see if the harnesses were all seated properly.  Thanks a lot guys for all the help and for steering me in the right direction.  Just for the record, my alarm module has three harnesses leading to it, I don't know if this was a design change or not.

Anyway, Thank you all very much.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic