icon

Check this Passlock situation out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, here's the run down boys and girls, ladies and gents, yada yada yada.
okay, my buddy has a problem with his passlock 2 in his 99 chev. malibu ( see my post from last night ). Now I realize it's been about 1 1/2 years since I even touched one, but it's like riding a bike. So I pulled of the dash bezel, the radio, the 2 10mm bolts holding the keyswitch in, pulled the keyswitch out of the opening and out through the radio opening ( gotta love those easy to undo steering wheel lock cables...hehehehe )
So what I see is this. 2 10 pin connectors ( I think 10 pin, i don't count pins, just hunt wires ) all the wires were 8 or 10 AWG with the exception of 2 ( 1 on each connector ) and those appeared to be 14 AWG. Blk/wht on one, green on the other. Than there's the other harness coming out of the cylinde itself. 3 wires all 22AWG and the colors as follows. Blk, Wht, Yel. Cool. Passlock 2 wires easily acceptable. ( Passlock 2 do to the cylinder holds the resistance not the key correct? ) So I strip back a little of the yellow wire, a little of the black, set my meter to 20K ohm, and start turning the key.
Well like I said he has a problem, meaning the passlock won't always read the cylinder correectly, so the car won't start. so to get the resistance reading took about 30 minutes. Had to wait until I hit the time the car would start.
Sooo....I get my reading, go to radio shack get my resistor(s) and hook them together. Now mind you, this is going to be a permanent by-pass, not temporary for a remote start. ( sorry but $250 for a new key switch, that, no labor included...umm...I don't think so! )
So I cut my yellow and black wires. Well for the hell of it, I decided to start the car, since I told him it won't with the wires cut, the Passlock Brain won't let it. Well guess what... IT FREAKING STARTED AND RUNS FINE!!!! yeah the Theft System light stays on while the car is running. But I didn't think the car should even be running with any ( let alone 2 ) of the Passlock wires cut!!!! I hook the wires back together, and it runs into a problem starting, re-seperate them, and it's fine now can I get a WTF!!!!
Please if anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it. Because, I could have saved my self many a headaches, if that's all it takes to by-pass that damn passlock system.
promodeepcycle 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
passlock 2 .. the car will sometimes start about 40-50 times before you see the "lockout" it will shut down... it will happen... sooner or later .. ive seen it many times ... well if you need anything else
dont be a pet monkey ..use your dmm
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Well...hopefully it happens after the guy trades it in, which is on monday. as far as the lockout....he saw it a couple of days ago when the car refused to start...Chevy says its the key cylinder, apparently it's a common thing...Side note: THAN DO A RECALL AND FIX IT GM INSTEAD OF CHARGING THE CUSTOMER FOR IT!!...All I know, is I'll stick with me Fords, although now they to are a pain. Thank God I no longer install for a living, just every once in awhile to keep myself in tune. Oh well...now that you say that, it's got me worried...think I'll put a resistor or two in there to fool the Passlock Unit. Oh and I decided to call Chevy to see what they had to say, they had him bring it in today...and they to are quite baffled by this, they said it should not start at all. This is one freaky azz car. Thankfully it's not mine.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic