icon

thickening the box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaymes 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

i was wondering if i could use fleece in between 2 layers of fiberglass to thicken my sub box.. it is huge and all this mat is costing me $$$. can i use fabric soaked up real good between a few layers of glass>?

thanks

mikedawg 
Copper - Posts: 142
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  

the one coat of resin that it takes will be stronger than one coat with fleece. the fleece will soak up alot and youll have to put at least 3 coats on it just to make it worth while. anyways a quarter of an inch thick is usually sufficient in making a sub enclosure

always looking for new info and willing to give it
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Depending on the shape  you can use a layer of Coremat. US Composites sells the 4 mil for $8.75 a yard. This is the same stuff that Select sells for $19.50 a yard. You'll want a fiberglass roller to eliminate bubbles. Coremat is thick and doesn't bend like mat does. It's a good bulking agent to save a few layers of mat.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic