icon

amplifier distortion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone knows what could be causing distortion is my car system.  I installed two mtx 8000 subs with an mtx 800.  i have the factor car stereo so i used the back speaker inputs and then used a low level converter box for the input on the amplifier.  everything is installed properly and the system sounds great, but when i turn the stereo off i hear this loud vibration distortion from the subs and it doesent stop until i put the stereo back on.  I solved the problem by putting a switch within the remote wire so when i turn the system off, i turn the remote wire switch off so i dont here the loud sound from the subs.  could anyone tell me what is causing this?  Something i noticed which is really weird is that when the trunk is open, and i turn the stero off, i dont here the vibration, but as soon as i shut the trunk, in comes back on.  thanks
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, I've seen this kind of thing before.  Usually it is feedback oscillation casued by amplifier gain set WAY too high.
Support the12volt.com
kevinbo5 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

I had this exact thing happen to me with the factory radio in my Honda Accord and a Fultron DC-400 amp.  The gains were set properly by the installer, (at least I know it wasn't  "cranked"). I checked the ground and changed the RCA cables to no avail. 

I have since installed an aftermarket HU and using all of the same wiring and grounds, I no longer have this problem.

I blame the converter or factory HU.

(yes the gains were set properly after the new HU install)

jussam 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2004 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
i had the same problem, was the wire that you connected the (remote on )an (acc) lead if not there was current still live and the the amp was still on .so when you connected a switch you created a manual switch, just fine a lead that only turns on when you start the car an you should be fine .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic