icon

Digital multimeter question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Herald 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  

On my car i have a plug which melted now my car wont  turn on.  i jumped the plug and now it turns on.  My question is how do i use the dmm to accurately determine a proper fuse value for this wire (I believe that plug served its purpose in melting like a fuse would) the wire has no fuse. dmm is a ET955 madde by mac tools. im new to this please help

A person who carries or proclaims important news; a messenger.
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
You don't really need a DMM.  The fuse will protect the wire itself.  A 10 or 15 amp will do fine.  The larger the fuse, the more tolerate it will be.  You don't want something so big that it will allow a power surge that will fry the end item.
Do it right the first time
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
If you melted a connector you have a problem.  Connectors are NOT designed to "melt like a fuse would."  A fuse is designed to blow to protect the wiring and connectors.  You have a fire waiting to happen.  How much load is running on the wiring that goes through this connector, and how large are the wires going through the connector?
Support the12volt.com
meh66 
Copper - Posts: 266
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Herald,

Before I could anwser your question, I would like to know what the wire is used for? The plug melted because of excessive heat. The excessive heat could have been caused by improper wire size or the electronics at the end of it or just location of the plug in the engine compartment. Just so you know, a plug and a fuse has two different functions. Give some more info and maybe I could help you diagnose your problem.

MEH66
"Car Performance and Mobile Electronic Enthusiats"
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
where exactly is this connector? any idea of it's function?  sounds like you might be describing a fusable link...if it comes right off the battery...if not, run out and buy a fire extinguisher just to keep in the car......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  

The connector could've been melted because there was a bad connection causing resistance=heat....enough heat to melt the connector.

I had this happen in my car once because the main engine ground was bad and the engine was pulling all of it's current through a small 12 gauge wire on the other side. Infact, finding that was what lead me to check the ground connection on the transaxle case. After I fixed that, it started right up and runs fine ever since.

If it is indeed a fuse, just look closely at the casing on the side, it will have a rating engraved into it: 40A 250V or something like that.

Just look at a wire gauge chart and use one that will allow max current through that wire.

Herald 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry wrote:
where exactly is this connector? any idea of it's function?  sounds like you might be describing a fusable link...if it comes right off the battery...if not, run out and buy a fire extinguisher just to keep in the car......

Connector is about 6in from battery. controlled ingnition,starter, interior lights, door locks and think everything inside the car. not the headlights. its about a 12ga wire. i do have an electric fan that poped the fuse at the same time im not sure if this caused that. this fan has a relay to make it turn on  .

Herald 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
If you melted a connector you have a problem.  Connectors are NOT designed to "melt like a fuse would."  A fuse is designed to blow to protect the wiring and connectors.  You have a fire waiting to happen.  How much load is running on the wiring that goes through this connector, and how large are the wires going through the connector?

if you mean current by by load not sure but it does control the stuff stated in previous post.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
it does sound like a fusable link to me...usually they come straight off the battery or solenoid but i would recommend taking into your dealership or a local auto electric type of business for confirmation...you dont really want to guess in cases like these
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Herald 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
flynntech wrote:

The connector could've been melted because there was a bad connection causing resistance=heat....enough heat to melt the connector.

I had this happen in my car once because the main engine ground was bad and the engine was pulling all of it's current through a small 12 gauge wire on the other side. Infact, finding that was what lead me to check the ground connection on the transaxle case. After I fixed that, it started right up and runs fine ever since.

If it is indeed a fuse, just look closely at the casing on the side, it will have a rating engraved into it: 40A 250V or something like that.

Just look at a wire gauge chart and use one that will allow max current through that wire.

i dont know how to quote multiple authors  so i addressed each indiviualy. what am i lookin for when i check the main  ground? make sure its tight thats one, should i clean it with a brush and put silicone over it ? thanks for the help everyone

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic