icon

amp for single dvc sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
JBL 300.1 (300W RMS @ 2-ohms)...Wire ur sub in parallel, perfect.
Or try an MTX 421D (300W RMS @ 2-ohms).
Basically get a Class D monoblock amp that is is around the rms wattage u need for ur sub...it will be 2-ohm stable if it's a mono amp.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2004 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
It's interesting seeing suggestions like those above recommending driving a DVC sub in stereo.  I always take Rob's opinion as gospel, and Haem's is harder to get through, but I do my best to understand his ideas, too.  :)  But, I have to say, with subwoofer frequencies, I can't understand spending the extra money, and drawing the extra power from the car electrical system to run a DVC sub in stereo.  With the availabilty of class D amps now, and the low prices you can get them for.  You will draw about 40% less power running a mono amp, and spend half as much, as you will for a stereo amp rated at 150 to 200 watts per channel.  With frequencies at about 120 Hz and lower, you should not hear a difference.  I have a little USacoustics mono amp, the USB600D, that would run that sub nicely.  I got it for $120 from Crutchfield's, although they are out of them.  But you should still be able to get one for less than $180.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic