icon

Not happy w/new sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
samohtm 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2004 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

Went to dealer today to speak with him about bridging the 300/4 into the new component speakers as opposed to buying the 300/2. he told me that bridging them is perfectly okay.  Is he leading me on? Should I just go ahead and do the 300/2 with the newly ordered CDT 520 components that are rated 130w or 150w?

I went ahead and ordered the JL 10W7 in the HO Enclosure since he said he would give me full credit for the 12w3 and sealed enclosure that is all of two weeks old.

Any more thoughts from guys/gals

Mike

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

Is it OK as far as being operable?  Probably.  Is it OK in terms of sound quality?  Probably not.  I think it is never a good idea to use a bridged stereo amp for main listening speakers.  Too much noise for a genuine SQ setup.

Oh, and one other thing.  You seem really hung up on power ratings.  As long as your speakers are rated at more RMS power handling capability than you amplifier, and as long as the amplifier is set up properly and not clipping, you are fine.  Always.  The key is how it SOUNDS.  Don't obsess about power ratings. 

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

Agreed about the power ratings.  My 50x4 rated amp does just fine pushing 160rms rated components.  They can play clean louder than I listen to.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Keeping in mind that the 300/4 has a fully regulated power supply, supposedly stable down to 1 ohm, will the SQ still be degraded when bridged? Just my own curiosity.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
The damping factor goes down as the ohm load does though which = less control over the speakers movement. Brigding your amp is like running a 2 ohm load, so thats why almost everyone uses the bridged mode for subs.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic