the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Is 4ohm that much better?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
I read a couple of post talking about how I can get tighter bass with less distortion by not running my subs and amps at a low ohm load. I believe the people who wrote these statements were some of the more experienced guys so I searched and read some more post about this. Is there really that big of a difference between running at 1ohm vs 4ohm?
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
T.Hill 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
From what I read about the damping factor being higher and having more control over the subs, this concept sounds like a good way to go. I've had to rethink the way I'm going to setup my system. Mostly just in the way of what sub amp to get. It looks like this so far.
2x RE XXX 15" Dual 1ohm subs
1x JBL BPX2200.1 running at 4ohms load giving 2450wts.
Eclipse 8454
6.5" RE XXX6.1 component set
JBL PX600.2 running 180wts into 4ohms
I'm going to add some 10's later on to make the midbass stronger off the rear outputs of the HU.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
T.Hill 
Posted: June 28, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'll have an amp for the 10's of course...
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
I hate that word... "better", it's a personal taste. Personally, I prefer an amp/driver setup that makes the power output you are looking for into the rated load, without having to resort to loading the amp to it's maximum capabilities.
If you are considering a vented enclosure of ANY sort, you will likely notice a difference, using the same amp.   Depending on the amplifier, though, you may not be able to tell the difference between amp A, loaded to 4 ohms (making 1000 watts), and amp B, loaded to 1 ohm (also making 1000 watts). Properly constructed sealed enclosures tend to control the movement of the cone better anyway, so in a sealed box, the differences will not be so great.
Those differences not withstanding, the amp will run cooler and last longer if you keep the impedance higher, the amp will be more efficient, requiring less power from the electrical system (that will only be wasted as additional heat when running at lower impedances). The amount of power the amp makes will not be so high, but with the amp you have chosen, I think you'll have enough.
If you are considering a vented enclosure of any sort, keep the impedance UP! You'll have better quality output, in pretty much every case.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
aidipf 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with haemphyst. it's all about personal taste. as far as your ohm question. i would rather go with 4ohm speakers because 1 ohm is close to no resistance. the less resistance, the more your speaker will fluctuate, eventually leading to distortion at high volumes then your system becomes worthless. 4ohm is not to much resistance or to less, so i think 4ohm is the way to go.
mr. innovations
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

One thing to also consider is the noise level of the amplifier.  IN GENERAL, the signal to noise ratio of an amplifier will increase as the impedence load increases, meaning less noise and cleaner sound with higher impedence loads.  I run 6 to 8 ohms routinely for my mains and my subs just so the sound stays cleaner.  As stated above, the amplifier will also run cooler and last longer at higher impedence loads.

The only reason audio manufacturers started using lower ohm loads in car sound system loudspeakers is because of the terrible acoustic environment in a moving car and the demand for lower weight and lower cost in OEM components.  Generally, there is so much road and wind noise in a car and the interior acoustics are so bad that a slightly noisy amplifier is acceptable, as the noise will be drowned out or covered up.  The increase in net loudness for a given amplifier size at lower impedence loads is a good trade-off.  It allows manufacturers to use smaller amps to get the same loudness, which lowers the total weight and overall cost.  After market manufacturers have in recent years been involved in a power war, listing larger and larger numbers as a means to sell equipment.  People seem to want big watts having bought in to the line that higher power is better, so advertising peak power at low impedence and high input voltages is a sales tactic way to attract purchasers.

Support the12volt.com
T.Hill 
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies guys. I am one of the "purchasers" that DYohn is talking about. I've always worried about "how much power does it put out" and not so much about clean it is. I guess I'm getting older and with the help of this website, wiser.
I'm going with a sealed box for the XXX's since I've never been fan of the ported box for my tastes. Thanks again for the help.
By the way, if you have time check out the JBL website and click on the "what the &%$#?" movie link. They use the BPX2200.1 to run a sabre saw to saw in half another amp. Pretty funny...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic