icon

wiring dos and donts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nickch 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  

i'm doing my first install on friday and i jsut need to clear up on somethings that might be obvious but hey.. its my first time and i dont wanna screw it up. i read that you must not run power and rca wires together but was wondering about the other wires. Can I run:

1) RCA with speaker wires

2) remote wire with power wire (i guess this should be no problem)

3) Speaker wires with power cable.

m2k_us 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  

hi,

Yes, you are right. don't ever run high powered circuits (amps) next to or in the same cable set as rca cables. The electric field will distort your sound quality. You can run rca and speaker cable together becacuse the rca cable is shielded and wont effect the sound quality. Remote wires and power wires can be run together. for best results use shielded cables for your run.

chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
I always tell my installers to treat the RCA's like they have some sort of STD. Never run anything with them, even speaker wires.
Just my 2˘
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  

chasesaccessori wrote:
I always tell my installers to treat the RCA's like they have some sort of STD. Never run anything with them, even speaker wires.
Just my 2˘

Thats how i feel. never put it in that type of analogy, but that works, and it gives it nice meaning. Good job haha.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
I generally would run speaker wire with RCA's as opposed to running them with the power wire but if you have the time pull out the seats and the carpet and run power down one side, rca's down the passanger side and speaker wire down the center. Of course if the battery is on the passanger side than run the power down the passanger wire and the rca's down the driver side. Also be carful to not run speaker wire or RCA's around the computer as the computer can also cause interference.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Connect your ground wires first before any other wires. Fried one of my channels on my amp by not doing this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic