1987 GM, too hard to install unit!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ed112 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Im putting in a new CD player into a 87 GM, no amp or subs are being hooked up. The new head unit has:
* 8 wires for the speakers
* Ground, Ignition, Battery
* Illumination, Remote Trigger, Motor Antenna
The radio doesn't work at all when I turn on the ignition. The factory plug for this GM has only 11 wires (8 speaker wires, ground, ignition, battery).
Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong ? Does the illumination wire not being hooked up to anything have anything to do with it ? Or do I need to test with a multimeter each wire on the factory plug to see what is going wrong ?
I would appreciate anybodys advice on this installation because the car is a fossil 
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
illumination won't matter, remote won't matter since you have no amp, and I doubt you have a motor antenna
check a few things:
1) all wires not being used are wrapped up
2) no bare connections inside
3) fuse for the stereo
peace
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
have a look at www.installdr.com to see if your vehicle and it's wiring plug is listed there.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
you need to make sure the constant power is hooked up to that unit...this is not supplied thru the 3 plugs that stack on the back but thru the small 2 pin connector that is on the other side of the rear of the radio...the orange wire in that connector ( there should be an orange and a brown ) needs to see 12V constant or the radio wont work
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
ed112 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  

Why isn't constant power supplied by the wire in one of the 3 plugs ?  Why do you need to connect B+ to the orange wire on that separate connector ? I don't get it ..... whats the difference in these wires ?

Thanx a million.

jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
that orange wire on the separate connector is the one that's supplying constant +12v power. on the 3 other connectors, none of those wires are constant +12v. the yellow wire on one of those 3 connectors is only switched +12v (when the key is in the accessory position). i can't really explain why.....those cars are just built that way.
good luck!
kgerry 
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

on the power plug the yellow is 12 v switched, black is ground, grey is illumination and pink if it's there is power antenna.... 12v constant is supplied on the small 2 pin plug i mentioned... dont question why.... that's just the way it is....

hook it to 12 v constant and i'm sure you'll find your problem is solved.....

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
ed112 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I've established by way of multimeter that no power is running through the memory B+ wire. Im thinking of drawing a cable directly to the positive terminal of the battery from the head unit (remember i have no amp).
My question is, what gauge size wire do I use and what fuse amp rating should I employ to fuse this wire ?
Would a 16awg wire with a 1A fuse do the job ??
kgerry 
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
did you check the fuses in the vehicle?  does the cig lighter or interior dome light work?   they are all on the same circuit......
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
mcgyver74 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

I tend to agree with everyone here. Your radio is not getting 12V constant.  There is no need to run a wire to the battery. there is a wire back there that is +12 Constant. It is orange. IF the stock wiring is there, then it is part of a 2 pin plug that is back there somwehere.  Worst case scenario, you can tie into the Cig lighter

GM's used the same color scheme for a long time (Since 1978 I think), the only thing that changed was the plugs, With adapter harnesses becoming so widely available I haven't had to splice a car's wiring harness in a long time so I don't know if the new GM/s are still using the same color scheme but If I recall correctly the basic Color scheme for a GM radio for a post 78 model is

B+ Orange

Ign Yellow

Grnd Black

Illum (Grey if i recall correctly)

Power Antenna Pink

Speaks were

Rt Front  + Light Green

Rt Front - Dark Green

Left Front + Tan

Left Front - Grey

Right Rear + Dark Blue

Right Rear - Light Blue

Left Rear + Brown

Left Rear -  Yerllow

The wiring in a GM is kinda counter intuitive since the Positive speaker wires in the back are the darker wire and in the front it is the lighter colored wire.  Oh and be carefull on a pre 78-79 GM, they used Common ground wiring that could toast a high power unit in less time then it takes me to get ito trouble at a bar :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic