icon

Help with subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
Well stepping down from a 12" to a 10" is not going to solve the problem of you wanting to "feel" the bass. The lower FQ that you "feel" and not hear are at the low end of the 12" range and the range of the 15" subwoofers. If you want crazy low bass, check out a 15. you can always keep the volume and gain set down. But IMO going down to a 10" will not help you out in feeling the music.
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
spokman 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
It's hard to translate what I'm looking for. Not looking for boomy bass. But crisp hard sound. Maybe I'm not even looking at the right component. That feeling like you been kicked in the kidney's sounds more descriptive. Now I know I'm not putting that much power out but my Pioneer 6x9's powered from the head unit back in 1993 kicked harder than this thing.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you're needing to fill a gap in the frequency range.  A sub is just a sub, but those powerful drum kicks will come from the midbass drivers.  6.5 drivers do the job splendidly, if given the right crossover points.  It's the combination of a dynamic midbass with the pounding sub that gives you the great audio knockout.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
spokman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  

Maybe it's some midbass I"m needing or my speaker positions. Have some 6.5" Diamond M5's in the doors. Maybe they need some custom enclosures? They are pretty airtight. As much as a door can be. Would think that they should fit the bill?

shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
Well I'll chime in here with my 2 cents.  If you are looking for frequncy responce a 10" will do the trick.  But smaller driver size dramatically affects the SPL, which, if you wnat your lungs bouncing around in your chest cavity, is the "feel".  So then 12's will work, but it all depends on two many other factors to really workout here in words.  You need to hear different setups in similar environemnts to decide what you like best. On another note it is my experiance that Kappa's are power hungry, but it could have been the amp.  Maybe your cross over setup is all wrong given that you got good components, play around with that some.
spokman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

Appreciate the help! The crossovers are factory so not much to tune there. The sub I can tinker with a little. Might be able to play with base boost in different Mhz and see if that helps get what I'm looking for. Not looking for booming SPL but hard kicking sound. Think I figured out why the ole Pioneers seemed to hit harder in some respects. Can't quite explain it but has to do with flatter reproduction. Basicly I think the M5's are doing a great job! I just need to augment them a little. Maybe with an 8".. Have to think a little. Budget is tapped. Doing an alarm install so I can put the stereo back in. Thieves been broke the window a while back..

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic