speaker install '90 Corolla sedan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mikethemechanic 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I'm a beginner installer and am having a problem getting started with replacing the rear speakers of my '90 Corolla.  Can't figure out what to do first: remove rear deck "carpet" (or how to do it), or remove speaker coverings (how?) or what.  Sorry to seem so dumb, I'm really not!  Looked at the problem from inside the trunk, and inside the car, and I don't have a clue.  Thanks for any help, URL, book etc.

Mike 

nollaz 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
the speakers should have a grill over it. they should pull out and there should be 4 screws holding the speaker in place.
yup
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Mike, if you're still unsure Crutchfield will sell you mastersheets for like $4.00 that give illustrations and step by step instructions to replacing the head unit and all speakers in your vehicle.  I've found them really helpful.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 05, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
To get to my rears, although not the same car, I had to remove the rear seat...push in and lift up off the hooks...unbolt the back of the seat and pull it down...remove the rear parcel shelf...then I got to the speakers.  I went out and bought a car manual to find out how to get the back seat out.  It turns out that rear seats have been like that for years.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
harvey1959 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Stevdart got it right.  I have a 90 Corolla sedan but I didn't have a manual to tell me how to remove it.  You unscrew to two bolts at the front of the seat base and slide the seat forward.  You remove the two bolts that brace the seat back down and lift up on the seat.  It is very tight in there.  You have to flex the rear shelf some to get it over the speaker pods.  Be careful or you will mess up the shelf and the upholstery on the side.  Unbolt the 5 1/4 from the pod and you're done.   I going by memory because I haven't changed the speakers in about  8 years.   
Harv

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic