icon

PPI vs Alpine

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
I was just wanting to find out what people thought of the new Alpine V-12 AccuClass amps versus the old PPI amps before they sold out and started producing crap. I am currently running 2 PPI PC-2350's and 2 PPI PC-450's. I was thinking of switching out and going to the new Alpine amps but am not sure how they would compare to my older PPI amps.
In case you want to know, I have 1 of the 2350's running 2 JL Audio 18w6's and the other is running 2 JL Audio 12w6's. The 450's are running MB Quart mids and tweets. I was actually considering getting another 2350 and using one for each 18w6.
If I go with the Alpine's I was going to run at least 3 of the MRD-1000's and running each 18w6 off 1 and then using the 3rd for the 12w6's. I could go with 2 of the 1000's and 2 of the 500's and use the 500's for the 12's. My main concern is the amps themselves though. Let me know what you think about them if you already own the Alpine amps. I would also like to know if they accept 4 guage power inputs. Thanks for your help!
colaroaster 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
i personally never owned an alpine amp, but a friend of mine has the mrd 300 and a week after the warranty ran out the amp crapped out. the output just quit working. and yes his amp was dealer installed.  this is only experience i've had with alpine, now im personally sketched out by them. what do i know, my shops the back yard.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

I don't have much experience with the older PPI amps, but i do have over a thousand hours into playing with alpine amps, i can shure say they are incredable.  In over 500 amps iv installed, iv only had 3 quit working, , and it was because punk kids cranked the gains after i set them properly.  Iv personally owned a mrd-m1000, and 3 mrd-m500's, and they all have impressed the hell outa me.  im yet to clip a 1000 , , , the subs always peak out before the amp can produce its full power.

The mrd-m500 and m1000 both require 4 awg wires, you get get away with 8 awg on the 500 if its a short run.   The models changed this year to mrd-m501 and mrd-m1001, they have changed the styleing, and a few tweekings internally on the 500 to make it produce more power. ( they made them less restrictive)   Alpine made the digital series amps with major restrictions, the last years models actually were regulated to only produce 50% of there capable power.  Many people have tweaked there amps with no problems to produce up to 2000 watts rms at 2 ohm.  I have no idea how this was done, nor would i reccomend it if you want to keep your warranty.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks alpine guy for your info. I am not displeased with my ppi amps, it is just that they are older and thought it might be time to update everything. as for the alpine amps, do you know what they are stable to? are they just stable to 2 ohms, or are they stable to anything lower. My reason for asking is that I have 3 12w6's and if wired them all together would produce a 1 ohm level of resistance and have to decide if I want all 3 or just would use 2 of them. thanks again for your assistance.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
From my experience most of the older amps are better built than todays amps, some of the new ones do sound better (your ppi amps were decent sounding though)
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
PPI still makes good amps.  yes, they ar owned by Directed (as is Orion and Viper and Clifford) but their quality is still as good as any other made-in-the-far-east brand, like Alpine.  I run a DCX-500.1 for my sub.
Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
The alpines are stable to 2 ohm, , but i have run mine to 1.5 ohm with no problems.   i tryed 1.3 ohm and the computer shut down once to protect from over current.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think your gonna beat the performance of those PC serries PPI amps.  I went out of my way to get another because they are simply kick A$$.  The internally ballanced line inputs and the quality of the circuitry is hard to find any where else.  I have used alpine and thier stuff is nice, real nice, but IMO PPI is a far superior product.  Those amps are possibly the cleanest sounding your gonna find.  I run a PC-2400 currently, it was chosen over several comperable alpine models.  Also if your a real hard up audiophile and don't like "The Digital Sound" (which I think is going a bit far) then there really is no choice.  PPI.  Also they are just plain sexy and display well in a smooth install, the wire and power connections are nice. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic