icon

Vacuum Locks, 1998 VW Cabrio?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s4pturner 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

I did search first and have been trying to figure this out on my own, but am not finding the info I need.

I am working on a 1998 VW Cabrio with vacuum locks, installing a keyless entry and alarm\starter.  I have the relays hooked up per the diagram except for to wires. Pin 87a on the first relay is suposed to be hooked up to the lock control wire and pin 30 on the second relay is for the vacuum system.  It says to cut and tap into the signal wire from the lock to the pump, for this connection.  Well I'm sure I'm missing something because I have 5 wires leading to my pump, red\white, brown, green ( 12v w\ unlock trigger from lock), grey (12v w\ lock trigger from lock) and a green\grey wire that I haven't figured out yet.

I have tried all of these wires and seem to not be having any luck except that when you unlock with the keyless entry, the doors lock.  If someone could point me to the magical wire, that would be awesome...  TIA

jfk51502003 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Power Lock yellow/red or gray   +  driver door harness in kick   
Power Unlock RED / blk or green   +  driver door harness in kick   Vacuum Locks, 1998 VW Cabrio? - Last Post -- posted image.

Factory Alarm Arm same as lock   +     
Factory Alarm Disarm same as unlock   +     Vacuum Locks, 1998 VW Cabrio? - Last Post -- posted image.
s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

Right that is the same info that I have, but does the wire from 87a trap into the power lock and the wire from 30 tap into the power unlock.  Do the gray and green wires get spliced together, etc...  I was under the impression that there was ONE wire in the car that needed to be cut and then bridged by the relay assembly, not one for lock and one for unlock.

The problem is that the diagram calls for a signal wire from the lock to the vacuum.  I have a wire for unlock and one for lock.

I'm with you on the lock\unlock wires but the diagram seems incoplete for my specific application.

Thanks for all your help, anyone else?

s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, I decided to try reversing the signal by using a relay.  With all the negatives and positives around I got confused.  So now the unlock works fine, but my Compustar 2WSS-AS brain is not sending a 12v signal for locking.  I am testing the blue\black wire and a positive lead and it hovers around .9v all the time.  I have tried looking for other lock leads, but cannot seem to find any others.  Is this a situation were the signal needs to be boosted by another relay?
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
even though your vehicle has vacuum pwr door locks, you do not need to connect the door locks in that method. for this car, it's simply positive trigger locks and can be found at the driver's kick panel area. depending on the age of your compustar, you may need to add relays. the newest models of compustar only have negative lock/unlock outputs, in which case you will need to add 2 relays with this configuration. then you have to program your compustar for double pulse unlocking.
good luck!
s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I tried this and now the car is being difficult again.  It seems as though I get a -12v signal with unlock but there is a constant -12v on the lock lead.  I don't know if there is something wrong with the compustar or not, but I thought it would only send a 12v signal while it was locking and then show know current.

I am going to work on it a little tonigh and try to figure it out, I'll let you know how it goes.

s4pturner 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
That is supposed to be no, instead of "know".  Whoops
dalmyd1 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2004 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
s4pturner wrote:

Well, I tried this and now the car is being difficult again.  It seems as though I get a -12v signal with unlock but there is a constant -12v on the lock lead.  I don't know if there is something wrong with the compustar or not, but I thought it would only send a 12v signal while it was locking and then show know current.

I am going to work on it a little tonigh and try to figure it out, I'll let you know how it goes.

just a HEADS UP!!!  Most vacuum systems require a longer pulse to lock / unlock.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic