4 Speakers on a Sony 222 Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PhatGuy 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  
Hey there Leif,
    As I said earlier my front speakers can't handle an amp, they will litrally fry.
    As for the speaker pairs, do you mean the front and the rear or the rear speakers only??
    Here is a picture of my current setup, I don't have a better one on me now so please bare. I'll have better pictures later.
4 Speakers on a Sony 222 Amp - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
    What I intend to do is put the 2 extra rear speakers between the ones currently there, and put the sub in the trunk.
     The reason I want all channels of the amp to get their input from the rear outputs of the head unit is allow me to fade between the front speakers and the rear. Can I do that???
Thanx
PhatGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry but I don't know why it didn't upload, here is another try 4 Speakers on a Sony 222 Amp - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
PhatGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 3:52 AM / IP Logged  
Yet another try. But this time a link
http://mohshami.tripod.com/
Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ah now I gotcha, wasn't paying enough attention - my mistake.
So, the front speakers ARE the small speakers, that's what I missed :).
Anyway. Here's something very important that you should consider:
Doubling the power will only increase the loudness by 3dB, whether you're adding more speakers or not.
So, that extra pair of speakers you'd be putting in the rear deck would really not make a lot of difference.
If you need them louder, you might want to make sure the high-pass filter is enabled. If it wasn't enabled before, this will likely gain you more than 3dB.. And, because they'll be in close proximity to the sub, there's absolutely no reason for the 6x9's to be playing bass, and bass into small speakers takes a lot of power. That way, you could get away with just one pair of 6x9's on the 222, and use the new amp for the subs.
I think.
Did I miss something again? :)
///Leif
PhatGuy 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2004 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
Thanx Leif,
    The only reason I want to add 2 rear speakers is that it will minimise the amount of power going to each one.
    In the case of 2 speakers, each one would recieve 60W, but when you use 4 speakers, each one would get 75/2=37.5W which is almost as half as the original value. The power increse I'll get is 25% which is not much. But the speakers won't be stressed as much with this setup.
     I asked the dealer I buy my stuff from about connecting 4 speakers to the 222 amp. They say that they have done it before with no problems. It seems that 222 amp 2ohm stable 4 Speakers on a Sony 222 Amp - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image..
     Anyways, the system I was going to buy today was the newer model of the bochmann amp, which has the same specs, and a 10" kenwood sub. I decided not to go with the setup for 2 reasons.
1. It costs about 2 months pay (I get 90JDs a month = 125US$, for 40 hours a week, and some times I even work more), and I think I shouldn't buy such a thing unless I get paid more.
2. Since I have a pair of speakers and a small amp, I can live with those and get a DSL subscribtion (It costs about that much to get it set up)
    The rear deck won't fit a sub because I would have to remove the component responsible for keeping the led up. So I'm thinking about putting a larger sub in the trunk, but that would be later of course.
    Thanx a lot guys for your help, that made me learn a lot of things and now when I build a system I'll know what to do.
Take care
Mohammad
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic