icon

sq and spl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

Whoa! Don't know how thw hell that happened....  Oops.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Go Ames, IA.  Is that technology promising DYohn?  Just curious - are you working on it in a professional capacity, or purely personal interest? 
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
A company I'm consulting with is evaluating them.  The technology is very interesting.  Stick a transducer to any flat surface and it turns into a speaker.  The more rigid the surface the better.  Using a car windshield in a BMW 740i, I measured frequency response at +/- 3db from ~60Hz up to ~18Khz..  I'm under an NDA or I'd post specs and charts, but suffice it to say the S3i technology looks very promising.  There are a few bugs to work out including achieving sufficient SPL and getting the price down, but I think it could be a winner.  The ultimate in sound stage using your windshield as a center channel is what I'm betting on!
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, that sounds fantastic. I'm surprised that it is able to achieve that broad a frequency range.  Now, imagine if you could integrate a display into the windshield too and compensate for the angle and curve.  You could bring up semi-transparent windows for navigation, entertainment, etc.  It would be much easier to follow navigation or change song tracks without having to look down and to the side to a small screen.  Movies could be more like being at the drive in when parked.

Thanks for the link, DYohn.  I find it fun to check out new technology.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
That's pretty awesome, I've played with similar transducers and I've never heard any come near that kind of frequency response!
Of course, it's not just frequency response, impulse response is probably an even harder problem to solve.. But man wouldn't it be cool if they actually pull it off? :)
///Leif
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

The frequency response is achieved using two transducers, one good up to around 5000 Hz and one for higher frequencies.  Transient response is pretty darn good, actually, as is energy utilization (efficiency) due to the "terfenol" magnetic material.  The problem is SPL due to low power handling, at least in the samples we have...

"Heads up" full-color displays are already available in military applications, so it's just a matter of time before the dashboard becomes a thing of the past.

Support the12volt.com
Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
That's way cool, a 2-way windshield :-).
-"Yeah, I got a new crossover for my windshield today, sounds so much better now!"
-"Stay away from the latest evanescence CD, it shattered my windshield!"
I can only imagine the things we'll be discussing in a few years when this becomes popular :).
///Leif
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic