icon

The Low Down on Point Source

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

So I have had my 5-1/4" eclipse point source units in my car for a couple of weeks now and just wanted to post my thpoughts for those who have the audio upgrade bug.  Point sorce speakers (for those of you who don't know) are like components with a speaker and a tweeter wired to an external cross-over.  However, they differ in the placement of the tweeter, right in the middle of the main speaker.  The idea is to have all the sound propagating from one point to eliminate interferance and distortion.  I'm driving my pair off 5-1/4 off of a Punch 160a2.

So how do they sound...   well, like components. There is no real difference in sound from a component arrangement and a point source set up.  The quality of the speakers have more to do with the sound than the placement of the tweeter. So I would not sugest them as superior to compnents but they are easier to install because the tweeter is already mounted.  They fit in my factory door brackets with minimal modifacation. There was plenty of room in teh door panel of my Subaru for the cross-over boxes.

Its the eclipse name on them that makes the sound.  They are bright, and very sharp wich is typical of eclipse tweeters(this may not be favorable for everyone).  The midrange is beautiful, absolutly awesome.  Mine are crossed out at the HU at 125 Hz and will play to full volume without distorting, by full volume I mean the maximum volume before the amp distorts.

Keep in mind these are used, purchased off of e-bay for a good price, new ones are pricey.  Go to your local dealer and have a listen some time if your interested.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the review shaman.  What kind of music did you listen to on them.  Did they shine with any particular artist/track?  Disappoint on others?

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
shaman 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

Well first off my HU is the now infamous CD 8443.  The internal crossover blends the mids and lows very well, the cross-overs on the components is a little more defined but still blended well.  For me everything sounded way better than the factory speakers, I have also had some JL components in another vehicle and these are a definate set up from mid-grade components. 

I listen to hard rock and techno-electronic-trance and so forth. And I guess a little bit of everything else too.  Guitar, Bass, and vocals are very nice clear and crisp the individual tambre of various instruments and sounds are defined very well.  The other day I was listening to Crystal Method-Legion of Boom and that was sweet, Hybrid also sounded very nice.  When I listened to Diesel Boy (fast paced drum and bass stuff) the highs were a little much.  Like I said they are bright and very sharp, not tinny or metalic, with a very nuetral tambre, but very sharp and it can be a little much sometimes.  On the radio, some music, but mostly station promotional crap and commercials get extra anoying.  (but when aren't they).  These are nice, definatly on par with any other high-end components.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2004 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  

shaman wrote:
On the radio, some music, but mostly station promotional crap and commercials get extra anoying.  (but when aren't they). 

I hear that.  My fiance always wants to turn on the radio to hear some new music, but I simply can't stand DJs, commercials, and crappy quality.

Anyway, thanks for the review.  I wish more folks would give reviews like that since most markets only have a small sampling of brands for listening at retail stores.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic