icon

electronic rust inhibitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cosmic charlie 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
  Hey all, I was wondering if anyone here has experience with or an opinion on those electronic rust inhibitors. One of the more popular brands is Counteract, they run about $100. I was just hoping maybe someone in here might have some insight. I'm not sure how they work something about cathodic electron replacement or something like that. I'm not any kind of electronic wizard or anything. I would just like some opinions before I waste my $$$.     CC
Cosmic Charlie
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
You will be wasting your money dude. If the car was fixed by a poor quality body shop, or improperly painted at the factory, you are going to get rust eventually. I am sure that device is on the same site as the magnet you put on your fuel line that straightens the flow to give you a big increase in gas mileage.
Tim-May!
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2004 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have played with them, one car I bought had it on it, after I replaced all the sheetmetal that was rusted the car looked good. the brush on products like por 15 or zero rust work much better and cost less, but the only way to stop rust is remove it
cosmic charlie 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
 Thanks for the replies, I have an uncle who had one and swore by it, he had it on a 1984 ford with no rust. When I took a closer look it wasn't even hooked up, but it must have been at one time. You know about rust issues with mid 80's fords. That said my 88 chevy G-20 is just starting to show some rust and I would like to sloooow it down if I could. By the way it came from the factory with autoarmor rustproofing thats probably why it has lasted this long. thanks again,has anybody actualy used such a product.    CC
Cosmic Charlie
NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hey CC, like archemedes was saying, get one of the products that stops rust, and hardens it so you can repair that area. I worked in a body shop for a few years, and we used a product called "rust mort" The stuff was awesome. Let me guess, your truck is rusting above the wheel wells on the bed, and in the cab corners? God bless the auto designers of the 80's trying to save on the painting process and skipping a few primering steps that led to lots of rust. I am a big believer in the rust proofing done at the dealer ship. The Ford dealer I worked at did that as well as undercoating, and the vehicles traded in a few years later were in a lot better body shape. Being in Iowa where salt is used on the road doesnt help either.
Tim-May!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic