icon

Under powering subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shott8283 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
I was always tought to over power a sub and turn the amp down...you should always try to meet the RMS handling on the sub...but i often see cats running 500 watts to a sub that can handle 750 RMS ...normal?  good?  is this ok?  if so this new system for my truck can save me alot of money ..
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
ok, underpowering subs is possibly the BIGGEST load of bullsh*t you'll ever hear. If underpowering a sub would cause damage then every time u turned the volume down you'd be f**k'n up your sub. In all actuallity you could push 1 watt to a sub that handles 2000 watts and it wouldn't effect the subs performance.
http://www.bcae1.com
read the stuff on that site! It will answer TONS of questions for people gett'n into car audio's actual technical persectives.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
The actuall act of underpowering your sub doesnt hurt the driver. Its that people will under power a sub and then crank the gain on the amp and the volume on the deck and clip the sh*t outta the system because they feel they should get a ton of sound outta there $150 sub/amp package. Underpowering doesnt hurt a sub, dumb a***oles who dont listen do. Installers and salesman will tell you its bad to underpower a sub because its easier than trying to explain clippin to some ghetto kid. Im not saying your a ghetto kid, im just saying that people make generalizations and thats probally why you got told that line.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
thats a good point that I forgot about there Raven. Too many of these little ghetto punks that know nothing about stereos yet try to teach a course on it to their friends are what has totally screwed up so much audio equipment.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
underpowering usually means over distortingUnder powering subs? - Last Post -- posted image.
losone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2004 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
underpowering = clipping the shh out of a low power amp, which in turn sends a square wave(ranther than a sine wave) to your drivers.  This kills you drivers real fast!  The more power you have, the cleaner signal you'll be able to provide you drivers & make them last a long time at loud levels.
shott8283 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
awesome fellas.....perfect answer..... just asking because the way i was tought and what i have been seeing....two different things.....just wanted to clerify it.... and that site... bcae..... awesome site...thanks fellas
ice4life8269 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
yup, if you don't have enough power goin to the sub, and try to turn the gain up to make it "bump", thats when it sounds sh*tty and the distortion WILL mess up the sub. weel said arche!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic