icon

Sony vs. Others

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alexadamo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

basically i am in a dilemma right now. my dad is a big shot with sony and im building my first killer sound system. the car is a 2001 honda prelude type SH. I have two Alpine 12" Type R subwoofers with a custom made ported box, each speaker has a max of 1000RMS. i need to know the HONEST truth about Sony amps! good, bad? honestly...what wattage would you suggest for this application. i am only looking to use ONE amplifier for this. also.....what guage power cable should i use, and what guage speaker cable? also...what exactly is plugged into my stinger "t" distribution block, ex: capicitor (what terminal, + or -), ground from amp, etc...there are 3 possible imputs on the block and ill be dammed if i know what to plug into it.  if you guys could provide me with some answers that would be magnificent. thanks,

alex adamo

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

What do you mean by your dad is a big shot with Sony?  Does he work for them in a high level position?  If so, see if he can get you an old school non-Xplod amplifier.  They used to make some awesome equipment.

I have dealt a little bit with their amps.  I REALLY don't like the remote turn on connection they use.  Other than that they seem to produce the power they say.  They definitely get you a great deal of power for a really low price.  I don't know about reliability though, and they are hideous IMO.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
Sony amps arent reliable over the long run. Id spend a little more cash and get something better.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I cant even say that sony amps put out what they say the do. In fact I cant find anything nice to say about xplod amps. As for those old amps, are they purple? I saw a purple sony amp at a flea market, it actually looked like a good amp. It was like $50 or something, would that be a good deal?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
The purple amps werent bad. And I can definaly agree that some of the old amps from sony were pretty good. I also have to admit that I never had a problem with the sony xplode amps that had the built in eq's on top of them.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Xplod as a line is fairly good. Of all their equipment I've used their CD players are ok (crap out after like 2 years if ur lucky), their subs are good performers (hit hard and clean for the most part), their CD changers are excellent, their speakers are good but kinda lack definition in their play. As for their amplifiers, thats where I must agree with everyone else. They are definately second rate. Their mono amplifiers arn't event 1 Ohm stable and are not that stable at 2 (me and a friend of mine hooked up one of their new 1100 watt XM-1100D amps to 3 subs first, kicked it off like every 2 seconds, then down to 2 for a 2 Ohm load and it would over heat). All in all I'd really concider getting something along the lines of JL, JBL, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, or HiFonics to push those 2 subs with an ample amount of power.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
nitto7 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well I dont have much experience with alot of sony things but I do have a xplod XM-2165GTX  amp and havent ever had a problem with it,  and its been just about 2 years i think.  thats been played everyday and even some long 8 hour trips.  Its never overheated or shutdown.  Just my two cents, hope it helps ya out.
Restored '79 Firebird
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
Im not gona comment on the sony, , but i'll say for the subs, to push them fully you will want an amp that can feed them 300rms at least, , they can take 500 rms ported , , so look for an amp that can push 600-1000 RMS.  If your looking for low price JBL is your answer, if your looking for pure power then look into JL's 1000/1, or Alpines MRD-M1000 or MRD-M1001
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

The Sony X-plode subs that say 1100watts peak on front are the bomb! I tried 3 for fun and was very impressed. I sill keep them in the closet for spares.  Their amps SUCK ASSSZ!  Head units are great but you will notice the difference if you switch to eclipse or alpine.

boom, boom, boom boom....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic