icon

total newb at fiberglassing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

i really want to try and take on the task of making a custom fiberglass enclosure for my woofers but have a gazillion questions about it, luckily i won't ask them all right now.

first, how hard is it to actually get something decent looking with fiberglass for a first time person like me? how do i get started, should i just try and make a little box or something first?

what's this stuff about fleece i keep on hearing? can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to do it? i know you get the basic mold (i guess) then you stretch fabric over it (is that the fleece, if so what does it do?) then you go on and resin or something like that? is this anywhere near being close?

another question is, if i made the enclosure do you just make one that is portable, so you can take it out of your trunk, or do you build it so it is stuck the sidewalls of the trunk? if any one has any pics could you either post them or send them to me, hightek1320@yahoo.com

i'm just trying to get a scope on the project before i go out and buy the stuff and totally mess something up

r0yal 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I havent done any fiberglassing YET... but I can sorta help you out with understanding it... you make the base, (which you can find alot of tutorials on) and then you make your sub rings (tutorials for that are around also) then glue some dowel sticks (I think they are called that) to the base of your project, and the sub ring, then stretch some fabric (can be fleece, or anything that will absorb the resin) over the project (make sure no wrinkles!! lol) then resin the fleece, and wait till its hard. then start applying the fiberglass mat/cloth then place resin on it, and keep doing this for a bunch of layers. Thats basically it. Hopefully it helped you out.
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
yeah that helped. so basically i make the base and support the rings somehow. then i stretch a fabric over that and apply resin to the material? does it matter what kind of material or just something that will absorb the resin? after that has dried i use the fiberglass mat. do i lay it on the hardened stuff then apply resin to that or do i put a layer of resin down then put the mat ontop of that?
oldsbravo5 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=30467&PN=2     

Take a look....this is what NOT to do!

Bravadas are cool
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you've got the basic idea. As for stand alone or molded, you can do either. Stand alone is what I'd recommend if you're just starting out. Molded isn't much harder but it does help if you have some experience working with fiberglass before attempting it. Start small for your first project would be my advice.
tylertime 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

hey  i got my first instructions from this site http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

from there i just read alot on this site, and my first FG project came out pretty good!

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=36621&PN=1

as for portability, i'm bolting mine to a cut portion of an mdf sheet that covers my spare tire, which is in turn bolted (only in the corner where the box is) to the body of my car. it can't be removed!!  but if you used valcro or some kind of clips..you could make it removable

vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah Tylertime posted a very good link, thats where i first learned, also this old fart has a good tutorial, althought its not making a sub or speaker enclousure he has some skills > rv8a.tripod.com/fiberglass.html . Also i highly recommend mosieing around this fiberglass and interiors forum and going back through several days of posts and checking out some of the topics.

Also what i find as a excellent source of knowledge and ideas it the manufactures site and thier project cars. Almost every site has the process of one of their builds and explanations. Check out JL audios and Alpines, they are awesome.

Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic