the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Proper way to wire 6 speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

In general, you can connect as many speakers as you like to any amplifier channel, as long as you do not exceed the impedence limit of the amplifier.  This is what Warren is discussing: basic Ohm's law series-parallel wiring.

The most common way to accomplish your goal is by using passive crossovers.  The function of the crossover is to filter the electrical energy produced by your amplifier and direct specific portions of the energy spectrum to specific loudspeakers while maintaining a relatively constsnt impedence load on the amplifier.  This is how almost all multiple-driver setups function (including most OEM setups with "6 speakers" or more.)

So to answer your initial question, there are at least three basic ways to skin your problem.  First is by providing individual amplifier channels for each speaker in your system.  Second is by wiring them together in such a way that your avaialble amplifier channels can handle the load, and third is by connecting them together with a properly designed crossover network.

Support the12volt.com
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2004 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you for your replies (ladies and) gentlemen, i appreciate your time and responses....i didn't really want to discuss the situation itself (selling my car story) but rather the technique itself for my own personal knowledge instead of satisfying the buyer of the vehicle.....honestly i could care less for the wire set up of the vehicle when it's sold (as i'm going to install a cheaper amp to have 6 speakers function properly) but i was seeing if there was an techinque/actual way, or "proper way" (again for my personal knowledge) that you can wire 6 speakers to an aftermarket headunit (with pre amp outputs) with no problems, but thanks to you guys i got my answer...thank you all!!
*paw print*
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic