icon

homemade navigation?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blingo 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

anyone have some ideas on making or getting a navigation system for like $200? i have a usb gps device, some software for it, and an xbox if that will help in the car.  its not high on my prioritys which is why i want to keep it cheap for now, but just something simple that will work would be cool... i have a spare computer that could be put in the trunk and used, but id rather avoid that. i was thinking maybe making something with the xbox to run it or something.....   anyone do anything like this? or anyone have some ideas?

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

go to www.mp3car.com theres about a million people doing it...... sorry man

vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Dude just stop, lol. If you can't afford anything over 200 bucks screen wise then ur shiat outa luck. Cause if you find a screen and components that will do you what you want them to do for under $200 bucks then you can probably plan on spendin $200 bucks each month replacing the one that broke last month. Ha, not to be atagonistic but save ur money for sometin better.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
blingonet 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
i already have a $800 indash screen, im looking for an actual gps unit to run the software and whatnot, and i used to have a full pc in my car, but i got rid of it and put an xbox in its place, and i am just trying to get suggestions on a new thing, depending on what it would be, i might have most of the parts (gps receiver and software) so $200 could be plently.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
an xbox is basically a PC ... you can just get a mod chip for it (most of then are just plug ins and no soldering small peices) This will enable you to put an OS on it, put in a larger Harddrive and a faster CD / DVD-ROM
blingonet 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah my xbox is modded, with 160gb hd. I have not added a usb port to it yet, I thought I might be able to use wine and install street atlas 2004 in linux and hope my gps mouse just works... or wait until windows is running a little better on it. just wondering if there would be a better way, that im not thinking of right now...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic