icon

Cigarette Lighter as Passive Starter Kill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilboi 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 4:32 AM / IP Logged  

You could make it so that when you push the cig lighter in, it grounds.. thus switching on a relay.

I would cut out a little piece out of the cig lighter socket, Put a wire there connected to the relay. So when you have the cig lighter there, it connect the ground and the relay together. 

wire
____,    |   ,_____    cig socket
--------------------   |
cig lighter        |   |
--------------------   |
the cig lighter will act as a metal to contact the wire with the cig socket (the metal that surrounds the cig lighter)

ka9rqw 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
OK. I've been trying to keep up with all of this...unfortunately, I was out on the road with work all last week and couldn't post a reply. Since then, the topic has been really well visited. A couple of things are of note here, though...
First, the customer wasn't interested as much in protecting the CONTENTS of the vehicle, especially since he didn't have a large audio investment to protect or anything else of value. He's only interested in protecting the VEHICLE. He just got it back for the second time after being stolen and joyridden. Nothing except some rather extensive interior damage and a little minor exterior damage. The problem is that the individual I posted this for was the one trying to help him prevent this from happening again, and the customer was very reluctant to put an alarm on the vehicle, since he didn't have anything contents-wise to protect.
Second, he had done other passive interlock methods such as the headlights and horn, but passengers soon noticed those (as was pointed out on another post would happen) and most likely passed those on to the thieves...either that or they weren't done right, since they didn't appear to have been forcibly defeated.
tbirdman74, I'd be interested to see what some of your solutions may have been. Don't worry about your customers' security, since you don't have to furnish vehicle types (unless it's of note in the installation) and definitely wouldn't be asked to furnish location. PM me and I'll get my email addy to you if that would work best.
Thanks, all, for your suggestions, all have been noted and are being forwarded to the other installer for consideration and discussion with his client. At this point, he's got the defroster hooked up and working, but I figure he might need something else very soon if the same trend keeps up. Thanks again, everyone!
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged  
OK, this feller should realize that an alarm does a little more than protect contents I guess.  If it is broken into, it will respond with bells and whistles, drawing attention to the vehicle, and thieves dont like attention.  Second, most have a starter disable in conjunction with the alarm, so that if it is triggered, the vehicle will not start.  And third, that little blinking light will about 90 percent of the time make a thief keep walking, just cuz of reason 1.  But anyways, if you could email me with the year, make, and model, I will see what I can come up with.  Also include any electrical options such as overdrive switch, power mirrors, traction control switches, things like that, they can be used as well.
If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
2mchpsi 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

[quote]can just short the starter under the hood, and presto, your ride just performed a Copperfield.[/quote]

That is why I would use a passive fuel pump switch instead of using the starter. Past the relay in case of someone jumping the fuel pump prime type connections on some cars these days..

padawan 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
I read on an alarm tutroial, the guy used his window switch in tandem with turning the ignition switch to start his car, had to press the switch into the up position for the car to start...Would be better than the cig lighter since the window switch is on the left and ur right hand turns the key...Lemme see if i can find it.
k here it is:
Seems like a good idea. HERE
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic