icon

new sony cd player in 89 bonneville

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jpkush9270 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

I'm currently trying to install a new sony radio/cd player in my 89 bonneville.  My car has the factory radio still in it.  I've only installed one stereo system before so I'm not all that great at doing it.  I'm not sure what wires are what.  I know black is typically ground and sometimes orange and red come from the ignition, but that is about it.  I don't have a manual/chart to show me what wires are what for the manufacturer's radio/setup but I do have a chart/manual for the stereo I want to put in.  Can you help me with, what I'm sure to anyone else is, some basic wiring or rewiring?

p.s.  The large very-thick black plug-in wire (has a smooth rounded metal tip which I think is the power) is a little smaller in size so when I try to plug it in it won't stay.  It seems that the power to the new stereo won't stay on because of this.  Is there an adapter or a new plug-in I can replace it with?

new sony cd player in 89 bonneville - Last Post -- posted image.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
From what I can tell about this black wire you are talking about, it is probably the antenna, to which there are adaptors available. Your deck should have come with one. As for wiring colors, there is an awesome database of those on this site. Here's a link to it for your car: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1989&make=Pontiac&model=Bonneville&ID=18752&type=Stereo
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
xploder21 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
yeah this site's database is good it helped me with my dodge neon.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

you need a GM antenna adapter fro this vehicle... i would also suggest you get the Metra harness for this car and not mess around trying to figure out a bunch of hacked off wiring....

10 bucks now or 100 later.... your call.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic