the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

RCA to XLR to RCA

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
(bump) For DYohn...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
DYohn, since this subject came up, how do you connect your ECM8000 to your PC's soundcard input? I know the thing needs a phantom power supply, with ±48v, but I would LOVE to have a phantom power supply with an 1/8 inch output, so I can plug it right in to my soundcard... Suggestions? Lemme know, eh?
The USBPre is the standard for a measurement preamp for a lot of pro sound guys. M-Audio makes some nice standalone preamps, off the top of my head, their AudioBuddy is well received, tho ugly in my opinion. If you want to DIY soemthing, there's gobs of schematics out there, including one-ship solutions. Anything that acts as an external preamp and that has a balanced or unbalanced output can be used. All that is requied is the proper connection between the two. Unfortunately, if you're going from a balanced output to an unbalanced input (your sound card), you'll lose 6dB but it's easy to correct that with the level knob on the preamp (sometimes called trim, makeup gain, or a whole host of other things). Personally, I use an old Soundcraft mixer, but there are literally thousands of options.
Links:
AudioBuddy
USBPre
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

I'll take everyones word for it.

Forget the XLR's

Robb

Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
DYohn, since this subject came up, how do you connect your ECM8000 to your PC's soundcard input? I know the thing needs a phantom power supply, with ±48v, but I would LOVE to have a phantom power supply with an 1/8 inch output, so I can plug it right in to my soundcard... Suggestions? Lemme know, eh?

I use a SoundCraft Spirit Folio semi-portable mixer right now (yes, I am tied to an AC wall outlet.)  Has very clean mic pre-amps and phantom power, and gives me a 1/4" output that I simply adapt to the 1/8" input on the soundcard.  Not the most elegant, perhaps, but it lets me have the level control I want without having to use the mouse.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
dpaton, thanks - your solution would work perfectly, IF the mic didn't need a 96 volt (±48) power supply RCA to XLR to RCA - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. I was asking DYohn, because he uses the TrueRTA (which I have purchased) a laptop, and the Behringer ECM8000 microphone. Now I need a way to get the signal from the MIC to the input of the soundcard... I have considered many soultions, none of which are glamorous at all... and most of them, pretty ugly... so I was just asking how somebody that I know has used the same type of setup as I am planning on using, how they fixed their setup. I do know about the gain thing, but that can be compensated for, fairly easily... What's this USBPre? Never heard of it. Does it offer Phantom Power? If so, it could be a solution. Lemme know.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
OOps... I didn't see the links you provided... Sorry. Where can I buy the USBPre? I can't seen to find any info about it other than specs...
haemphyst 
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
I guess I should either work, or read the forums, not both... Found the website, but WOW!!! 700 bux! sh*te! that'll hafta wait for a while... maybe the audio buddy is a better choice LOL RCA to XLR to RCA - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
found it in bakersfield... 50 bux... SOLD. I'll let ya all know how it works.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
dpaton, thanks - your solution would work perfectly, IF the mic didn't need a 96 volt (±48) power supply RCA to XLR to RCA - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Mics run off of a single ended +12 to +48V. Only very espteric mics run at any level above that, and are exceusively single ended, for all intents and purposes. AC on a mic power line would cause all kinds of havoc, since it would need to be a non-commonmode signal superimposed on themusic, which would destroy the low noise nature of it's balanced interconnection. Phantom power is applied to pins 2 and 3 equally, through a pair of 6.8k resistors. The ground is obviously, pin 1, ground. Because the DC is common mode, the mic preamp doesn't see it. Most mic preamps also have DC blocking capacitors in them,which block the DC phantom voltage very nicely.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic