icon

right side speaker problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
primrose 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

Ok for awhile now my right hand side speakers in my car don't work, meaning both the door and the rear speakers don't work. The problem is not because I have the music faded to the left side, so I pretty much assumed that either the speakers are blown or there's a problem with the wiring.

Now if there was a problem with the wiring, it would be more beneficial for me to take a look at how the speakers are wired to the head unit right? Since both speakers on the right side don't work, I figured it would be a problem related to how they're wired at the head unit. 

I took apart everything and checked the speakers on the right hand side to see if they were blown, but me being a person who knows nothing wouldn't know what a blown speaker looks like, but I figured it would have some distinguishing marks of some kind. I then proceeded to take apart my dash and take out my head unit and look at the wiring. Everything seems to be connected firmly in their places, but I was surveying one of the clips, and found that one wire didn't match the other wire on the other side of the clip.

Here's a couple of pictures: https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/primroselust/CopyofDSCF0076.jpg & https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/primroselust/CopyofDSCF0077.jpg 

Now even if that isn't the problem, does anyone know how to get the wires out of their little sockets without breaking them? I would like to at least try moving the wires that don't match to see if that could relate to the problem. I appreciate any help that I can get:) Thank you.

~Jenna

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
ok, what kinda car is this. If you tell me that I can probally help you. I wouldnt try to remove those pins because if you dont know exactly what you are doing they wont go back in, besides I gaurentee you that it wont be that. Something may be wired wrong but it wont be fixed by moving pins. Post year make and model of the car and we'll get you figured out. BTW speakers that are blown usually dont have any marks on them but if you push on the cone they will make a scratching or grinding sound.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
primrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

This car is a 1994 Mx-3 Precidia. It has aftermarket head unit and aftermarket door speakers, but not rear speakers. Thank you for replying, and if you can help me I will br forever grateful:)

~Jenna

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

OK what I am going to do is give you a list of speaker wire colors and I want you to make sure they are hooked up in this order behind the deck, then we can keep going from there. The first color I list will be the wire coming from the deck and the second color I list will be the one comming from the vehicle.

White - Blue

WHITE/ black - Blue/white 

Grey - Blue/red

Grey/Black-Blue / YELLOW

Purple - Blue/Red

PURPLE / Black - Blue/green

Green - Blue/white

GREEN/ Black - Blue/Green

Now I think I saw in your pictures that the deck was connected using a adapter harness. If it is that means you just have to make sure all the colors match up going from the deck to the adapter harness so ie, white to white red to red etc. If it does use a harness than you need to grab a 9 volt battery and a pair of cutters or a piece of speaker wire. What you would then do is disconnect the plug and put the speaker wire into two pin holes for one speaker. You then take the wires and touch them to the battery, one to positive and one to negative. This is called bumping. If the speakers are not blown and the wiring is connected properly than the speaker will make a pop sound. If this doesnt happen than pull the speaker out  and try to connect the battery right at the speaker and see if it bumps if it does than the wiring needs to be replaced, if it doesnt than the speaker is blown. In your case I am guessing that one of the spoeakers is blown and causing the amp for that side of the car to cut out. I hope this helps out some and make sure you let me know if you still cant find the problem.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
primrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I will go and check the wire colours right away.

To be honest though, it looks like a rat's nest in behind there, and all of the wires are differently coloured, and it looks like some have been saudered(sp?) and then tied together with electrical tape. I will also do the bumping to see if the speakers are blown. Thank you for all of the information!

~Jenna

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

I doubt your speakers are blown.  The most common cause for one side going "out" is a shorted speaker wire.  While a "blown" speaker can cause this, if it's a "rats nest back there" I suspect a shorted or grounded set of wires.

If you can't straighten out the wiring yourself, your best bet would be to spend some money and get help from a pro.

Support the12volt.com
primrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

Ok I am back from looking at the wires and I have found that nothing matches the colours that you gave me. There isn't even one white wire comming out of the deck. I took a couple of pictures so that you can see what I am talking about. https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/primroselust/DSCF0084.jpg & https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/primroselust/DSCF0083.jpg are pictures of the wiring.

Now if I want to try and do the bumping, which ones are the speaker wires? They do have writing on them, but it is so tiny I can't read it. I could go straight to the speaker and do it that way, it might be easier than trying to figure out what little holes to use, but then I wouldn't be able to tell if the wiring from the deck to the speaker is what needs to be replaced or not. Also, the wires seem to change colour after they have been wrapped with the electrical tape, in that case I kind of assumed that they had been saudered or something. I'm thinking maybe I should have someone look at it and just get everything new, including deck and speakers, I bought this car used so I have no clue what went on but it sure is discouraging to not know how to fix it. Thanks again for all of the help.

~Jenna

xploder21 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

to see if a speaker is dead , use a 9 V battery and touch the positive speakewr lead to the positive battery side and the negative lead to the negative side. If you get a crackle or sound from your speaker, then it isnt blown.

Your wiring harness is a mess. If the speaker wires are anywhere in the group of wires connecting to the connector with the green and purple wires going to the clip.

delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

I'm assuming you've got a stock radio there and haven't done any modifications to the system. What year/make/model car and what radio system for it do you have? You want to be sure to do nothing right now that's going to jeapordize your warranty, if it's still in effect.

Do you have a digital multimeter (voltmeter)? You can check the wires at the speakers to see if there's voltage there. You may have to put safety pins into the connector at each wire if the tips of the leads on your voltmeter are too big. The two wires going to each speaker are the same color, but the negative wire will have a colored stripe on it. Set the voltmeter to the lowest volts DC range the voltmeter will measure. Start measuring with radio volume fairly low, the increase it until you get some voltage reading or until the other speakers are starting to distort. If you don't get any voltage at the speaker wires your problem is with the radio or the wires. If you haven't done any modification to the car at all (including drilling, adding other wiring, etc elsewhere in the car) then your radio has probably gone south on you. If you do get voltage there then the speaker's bad. It's unlikely you had two right speakers go out at the same time, so it's probably the radio. If you've done any work on the car lately under the dash or along where the wires run, then it's probably the wiring. It's not going to be anything as simple as a blown fuse.

primrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys, but I don't have a voltometer. I think in a couple of months when I raise some money I will go and get everything new, new speakers and new wiring and a new deck along with an amp and sub that I've been wishing for, and I will get everything professionally installed so there will be no further wiring mistakes. It saves a lot of trouble, but I'll admit it was fun learning how to take everything apart:)

~Jenna

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic