the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

One sub moving more then other

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

There are several suspect causes at this point.  Two months ago I thought it was unusual for the enclosure to have standing water in it from a leak in the trunk.  The leak was on the side where there now is a problem.  Could be damage to the speaker from moisture, or it could be damage to the enclosure from the same moisture saturating the box and then drying out, leaving the wood split somewhere.

I also wonder about the load on the amp.  pimpincavy doesn't say here what amp it is, but I doubt it is an amp capable of sustaining a 1 ohm load...which is what the subs' wiring  was putting on it.  The subs are 200 RMS, so damage by overpowering might be the culprit, too.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
i'd say, take both subs out of the box, use a dmm and check the resistance on each vc. make sure they read at 4. if they do, replace the wires going to the subs and amp. then inspect the box thoroughly, make sure there isnt an air leak or even worse, a big hole or crack. if all is well, when u re-install the sub, make sure that u tighten the screws enough so no air gets out through the top. if that doesnt help any, well... throw it all out a window, and get new stuff. lol
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
Ok. Their was NOT standing water in the trunk or box. Only a small amount of water that should neither have damaged the sub or box. Here is a link to my amp which I HAVE mentioned multiple times already. http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=23
I also dont think im running at 1ohm, unless im mistaken. I have had no problem with either of the amps ive had hooked up. The other one was a power acoustik, and both were 2 ohm stable.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
u know, i just went back and re-read what you said pimpincavy, and i thought of something else. you might want to check your RCA's. if they are wired to seperate channels, they are gettin different signals. check your rca's. it might be a really simple fix.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  

Pimpincavy, sounds like you're a little tight there...take a breath.  If you linked to info about the amp in this thread before, I missed it.  Anyway, you tell me what ohm load the amp is getting:  mono amp, two 4 ohm DVC speakers, all parallel wiring, one sub at 2 ohm hooked to a set of terminals, and the other sub hooked to the other set.  2 ohm + 2 ohm paralleled at the amp = 1 ohm.

Look at each set of voice coils.  4 and 4.  Parallel them together you get 2 ohm.  Whether you connect the subs together in parallel (1 ohm), or connect each sub to a set of terminals on that one-channel amp you still get a 1 ohm load. 

What's not right here?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Stupid DVC subs. The shop I bought it from said I would have no problem running them just like they are with my power acoustik amp (this was before I bought the memphis). I know how ohms work, but I did not realize that dual voice coils effected them that way. Perhaps I should return the subs for SVC versions? I dont have money for a new amp right now, but I havent had a problem with my memphis and as far as I can tell its not a 1ohm stable amp. Its been raining for the last two straight days and I have not had time to do any of the things you guys have suggested. What I really need is a bigger amp, but that means a bigger alternator and I dont have the money for that sort of thing. So unless its a cheap fix I will have to wait untill i get a little cash saved up.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic