icon

92 jeep cherokee laredo?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, Im going to start my first custom project. Dunno if i should use fiberglass or what.. Thats why im here =).. Any ideas on what kind of job i should do? all i wanna do is make it look nice and hide the wires. Mysubs are screwed into my back seat and I just ahve a custom box holding my 2 L7's 10's I was thinking about just covering the whole back seat and just cutting out the amps...Got any ideas? Im planning to do it this weekend and im looking all over trying to find ideas from custom SUV that has the same back seat as me.. Got any ideas? Pic? 2 cents? anything? Dont hestitate at all PM Me or reply doesnt matter just dont hestitate..

Thanx guys

I guess that guy has subs.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

I'd say take a stab at making a nice MDF/Fiberglass combo enclosure.

Start out with a wooden base and back, cut up some woofer rings etc.  Wrap your enclosure and stiffen it up from the inside with some resin/cabosil mix.  This is just a quick idea, but if you look around you can find all the tutorials you need to start a simple project like this.

Im pretty sure you'd appreciate the outcome if you take your time on this project, it can be a nice show piece, especially in an SUV.  Good luck!!

Im a fiberglass whore!!
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, thanx for idea...trying to find some suv install pics but nobody with like a close enclosure..plus Im super stupid and this is gunna take a while but hey i wanna learn and I've seen some reallll nice installs.. I was thinking about just making the whole back a big enclosure like from bottom of the back winshield to the top of the seats all the way down and just making a nice enclosure but i would need a highly skilled guy for that speaking of which..No anyone in NYC that would like to poke around at stuff this weekend and shoot some idea..Im gunna post another post for this idea though...but hey man thanx alot for responding!!

Thanx man

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

SUV.... sigh such a great vehicle.  Atleast for an audiophile.  What kind of SUV?  I'm agreeing with hottaccord with the mdf and fg enclosure.  The posibilities are endless.  You want sealed or ported?

lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Right now i have a sealed box but i've heard ported will knock the socks off of a sealed box. right now im up for anything.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

"Mysubs are screwed into my back seat"

Sorry about that i meant my amps are screwed into the back of the backseat. I have a 1200.1 kicker for the subs and 1000 watt 4 channel digital phoenix for the speakers.

boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm... well unless you have a wierd thing that measures the surface of an object to see what the size is and have taken calculus 3 and other high math classes in college then calculating the volume of a fg enclosure will be extremely difficult.  And ported/vented enclosures are NOT forgiving when it comes to the wrong volume for the sub.  You're mostly correct when you say ported/vented enclosures are louder then sealed.  On average you can get up to 3 MAYBE 4 db more out of a sub (which is a TON concidering you would have to put in almost twice the power to get 3 more db out of a sealed).  So if you are designing a box with small curves then yeah a ported would be great, but more than likely you will be off and so will the tuning and that results in a bad sounding sub (sealed boxes are MUCH more forgiving when it comes to being off in volume, and if your box is to small then you can always add polyfill to make the sub "think" that it's in a larger box and if it's too big you can place solid objects, ie wood blocks, to take up volume).  I personally would go for a really nice sealed mdf and fg enclosure with some nice curves and a good paint job.  Make this as large as the manufacture recomends for it to allow the sub to have the biggest "boom".  Kicker L7's will knock some socks off of most systems anyways, so you won't be lacking if you have a good amp to power it.  Also concider mounting your amp to your sub box.  Here's a place that has some nice ideas.  http://originalcustoms.com/audio.htm# They sale boxes that are built for you.  But make sure before you start any fg project that you know what you want to do.  Plan it out and look at other's works to get some ideas.  Look through this forum to see some cool ideas and to see some ideas that work and don't work.  Good luck and feel free to post some more questions if anything comes up.  Let us see some work progression when you get started to.  I'm always interested in what people come up with.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
alright i just typed up a huge thing for you and it gave me an error and wiped it so here's to the second time around.  buiding a ported enclosure for a fg box w/ any decent curves is dificult.  Unless you've taken like calculus 3 and a bunch of higher math classes in college then it's like...uh... impossible.  So that's right I'm recomending a sealed enclosure.  Nine out of ten a sealed sounds much cleaner than ported/vented.  Yeah you're correct in saying that most ported/vented are louder in db than a sealed (some ported kick out as much as 4 db more than a sealed which is awsome concidering to get that with just raw power you'ld have to like double the power you're feeding the sub).  I recomend that you do all the research you can on fg enclosures and run a few practice trials (maybe a pair of 6 x 9 boxes, or a duck or something) and when you feel comfortable then go for the real thing.  But be prepared for a long project if you want it to look good.  I'm about to start doing a sealed fg enclosure for 2 10" infinity kappa's.  Also look at making a holder for the amp into the sub box.  Just look around at other peoples installs (also check out manufactures websites for ideas from their demo vehicles) for some ideas.  I know that there are plenty of guys on this website that have some nice fg enclosures. 
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
well nevermind it did go through.  (slaps self in back of head)  *thud*

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic