the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Amp wont power on, just keeps blinking?!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mach1chris 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Hey everyone,
I bought a used Clarion APX400.4 amplifier off a friend. I wired it up and when I try to power it up (turn on the stereo), the power LED just keeps blinking once every maybe 5 seconds and I hear a slight pop in the speakers. I tested the connections with a multimeter and they all appear fine. Any ideas what might be wrong and/or how I can fix it?
Thanks,
Chris
Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
what speakers and impedence do you have hooked up to the amp? How did you ground the amp?
electronics run off of smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

are you using the 4 channel amp to power the door speakers?

did you run a wire directly from the speaker to the amp? or did you run speaker wire from the amp to the back of the head unit?

If you ran them to the back of the head unit you possibly have a factory pre-amp. look in the passanger kick pannel to see if you have one, or consult the car manufacturer to see where it is located.

mach1chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

some background: the car is a stock 2004 ford mustang mach 1 with ford's premium audio system

charles: its the stock factory speakers.  The mids/lows (4 of them) are wired in parallel at 4 ohms per channel (2 channels).  The highs (4 of them) are wired in parallel at 2 ohms per channel (2 channels).  The amp is grounded to the body of the car in the rear behind the tail lights.  I have another device successfully grounded at the same point.

drsnoze: the 4 channel amp is powering all the speakers.  For the lows, I tapped into the wiring harness that comes out of the back of the factory amps.  For the highs, there are no preamps or amps for them, they ran right off the factory deck.  What I did for these was get a wiring harness and i ran the speaker wire to the wiring harness.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
did you run the remote turn on for the amp?
if not run a wire from any accesory wire(wire the turns on when the key is turn) on the wiring harness
mach1chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
yeah I did.  Looks like something internally is f**ked up on the amp.  I hooked it up in my other car to the existing wiring for a 2 channel amp and it did the same thing.  I hooked pu the 2 channel amp in my car that the other wouldn't work in and it works fine.  Now the questoin is I guess what is wrong with the amp :(
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
How did you get the input signal for the amp? Disconnect all the speaker wires and see if the amp is still going in and out of protection.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mach1chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
the input signal is coming through the rca's wihch are hooked up to a usb soundcard (this amp is powering an in-dash computer).  I've tried disconnecting all the speaker wires and I get the same thing, in both cars
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Grab a discman or any other source and fire it into the amp. If the amp is still going in and out of protection it is either a really bad ground (doubtful by the sounds of it)  but more than likely the magic amplifier smoke that makes it worked has escaped.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic