icon

What is a Good Capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mladams 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I would definitly agree that tsunami is one of the best caps around. Circuit city sells a 2 farad tsunami cap that performs really well. it's about $150 but it's worth it.
Matt Adams
Electrical Engineer Major
York College of PA
Chevy Cavy Rally Sport
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
would you all recommend going with a cap as opposed to a red or yellow top? i talked to one guy and he said to just go with a battery and i would be good. no lights dimming or anything like that. it is that a good point or should i consider a cap? i'm not quite sure what the total wattage of sysytem will be yet.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
To truly fix problems like light dimming, the only sure fire way to do it is to upgrade the altenator. Caps are bandaids and while I can say I have never had a problem with them not fixing my problems  I have seen people who did not benifit from the cap. What you wanna do is figure out how many amps your system will draw and how bhig your altenator is. Generally cars have an altenator big enough to run their own systems and mabye 10-15 amps of reserve. So If you are adding 60 amps of load to the vehicle and the car has an 80 amp altenator you should be looking to upgrade to a 120-140 amp altenator. Thats how to do it properly.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
dxav wrote:
Do I bore people, or flex my brain?
Flex. I'm inthe same boat. It's easier to have folks ask questions than end up misunderstanding because of a lack of complete information. DYohn and the other forum luminaries seem to go that route, FWIW.
My $0.02.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  

so i'm guessing that i should not worry about upgrading the battery?

how do i go about figuring out how many amps i'm going to add to the system?

should i get all my parts first then worry about the wiring?

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  
If I'm going to run a high power system then shoud I get a totaly sepereate bat for my system and let it run off of that or a new alternator?  Which would be better and last longer?
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
If your going to run a 2nd battery for the system , you will need a battery isolater and a more high amp altenator to keep both batteries charged. You will have to figure how many amps total your system will be using and determine if this set up is for you or not.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
To answer your ? about how many amps you will pull just add up all of your fuses (on your amps or whatever you are using off the power wire).
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Right now I'm only running like 250 watts.  But the dream...  If I'm ever able to upgrade my stuff (money man it sucks right now) I'm wanting to go probably around 750 to 1000 watts.  Enough for a new bat?  or just a better alternator?  What's a bat islolator do?  Do you have a website that shows a demo of how this is done?
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
A Battery Isolater allows your altenator to charge both batteries while the engine is running but it also "Isolates" or seperates the 2nd battery from the cars electrical system so you dont feed 24 volts into a 12 volt system. It also only allows the one original battery to hit the starter and not both of them. Keep your dream alive. Ive been known back in my day to deliver Pizza at night just to earn money to build my system. Im kinda glad those days are over but I still love car audio as much as ever.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic