icon

Subs are makin me scratch my head

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

i'm not that familiar with pioneer or alpines newest offerings, the preimer series just happened to catch my eye so i was curious if anyone had used them at all, i've heard alot about eclipse, at this point i'm thinking i would be better off to skimp alittle cash on the head unit and buy a good eq to go with it. any other good brands you guys could recommend?

J~

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

Audiocontrol is probably right at the top of the list for EQs.  You can get one with integrated crossovers.  If you decide to go that route you should try a top quality 'no frills' deck like Nakamichi CD400. 

I'd advise against going for an EQ first though.  I think a good plan is:

1) buy the best stuff you can

2) get it installed correctly (most important step by far!!!!)
3) THEN, and only then, determine whether you need an EQ. 

An EQ can fix some specific frequency response problems, but that is about it.  A top notch head unit will do MUCH MUCH more.  Get a good source and worry about sophisticated stuff like a separate EQ later. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  

Kfro1, thats kind of what i was thinking i should do, add controls to clean up any slop after building the best i can purchase, i'm still up in the air as far as head units, but i'm sure i want to run memphis amps, and either use their subs, diamond audio, or maybe audiobahn.  i'm really only looking to spend around 400 for a head unit so any alpine or pioneer, or other model that might work nicely in that area little over/little under would be nice as well as i've pretty much decided to scrap the stuff i have now.

J~

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
The only time I recomend indash processing units are when people look at buying units that act as preamps, such as the 3.1 from audiocontrol that boosts your output voltage. I wouldnt use indsah eq's like 9 and 11 band and what not because I think they are usless. I would use trunk mount 15-30 band ones and a pre amp in the dash and a decent head unit like the nak one that was suggested. Also audiobahn is not in the same league as the memphis and diamond gear, just say no to the audiobahn
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic