icon

1998 Pathfinder Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
CT18fireman 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

I read in an earlier thread that I could not respond to of a Pathfinder starting and dying within a few seconds.  I am having the same problem.  I have a 561t running from a Viper 400.  All was fine when I installed this summer using the wiring guide here and testing the wires and it still works well when engine is warm now.  In the mornings though it just sputters and dies.  If I start with the key it cold starts fine.  I recently got a tune-up and only have 60K miles.

In the thread there was mention of hooking up a cold start wire.  I assume this would be to one of the ignition leads from the remote start?  Is this an option?  Could someone elaborate?  I could not find anything in the diagrams.  My wife is getting on me about her car.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

a lot of Nissan products also have a "cold starter" which needs to be energized in cold weather...how many starter/crank circuits did you power?

RED / Blue in the ign harness is the second starter wire.........

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
CT18fireman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
I only energized one starter wire, not sure of the color now.  Should I run both off the same starter lead from the RS unit?  I will have to look to see what is hooked up.  Would that be the "cold start"?
Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed a ProStart 3200 in my 1992 Pathfinder. The wiring harness of the vehicle had 2 starter wires. I don't recall the colours of hand, but they both tested 12v in the "start" position only. I made the mistake of only hooking up one. The vehicle would barely start (if at all), until I installed the second wire.

My starter module had an additional programable lead in one of the harnesses that allowed me to hook up a second "starter", "ignition", or "accessories" wire depending how I set the jumpers on the module. I set the jumper to "starter" and wired it up - - works great now.

I don't know if you could just feed both starter wires in the OEM harness with a single feed from your remote starter. This may not be recommended by the remote starter manufacturer (I know mine wasn't). Try and check with the manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder
shadowinfector 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
you need to use a relay...for the second starter wire...here
http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/images/install_notes/108.jpg
CT18fireman 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

Well I e-mailed Directed Electronics and was told that I could run both off of the starter lead.  I did this as a test with a jumper and it did work.

I am going to use a relay though.  It will make me feel safer.

Thanks for the help.

Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Great to hear it worked for you. Isn't the internet a great thing? The information available is amazing.
Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic