the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

what happened to zapco

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
This is very sad, but not surprising.  Lots of people also seem to be very impressed by a 3-foot high wing on the back of a Kia.  A gold (or chrome) plated dog turd is still a turd...

lol! I love when the otherwise calm and pc DYohn weighs in w/ a comment like this ;-)  

I couldn't agree more.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
dr. righteous 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
quick4321 wrote:

I was told that all the local shows are giving trophies to guys that have the best looks, not the best equipment/sound. He said that someone with a chromed out autobahun system is getting a lot more attention than a guy who rolls in with 20k worth of equipment because most of the local people have no clue what Dynaudio, synphoni, Mcintosh, etc are. I would think this has a  lot to do with the fact not many people are familiar with the big names.

Last time I went to a show I wanted to throw up.  It isn't who did their homework and built a well designed system with real sonic accuracy.  It is about who can put together the most jacked up, and strange (cartoonish) looking rig.

When I was into car audio heavy in the early '90 the thing was who can build a system that is just about invisible, or stock looking but still have breath taking sound quality.  Those days are gone. 

Funny thing is I stumbled across this board because I wanted to buy a CD head unit for my Grand Cherokee and maybe a few other goodies, but I have been out of the car audio scene for so long I was kind of rusty. 

Real High Fidelity........
or forget it.
nc5er 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure on this, but I believe Zapco changed hand's within the past several years.

If you take a look at the specs on their old-school vs the new, something went wrong.

While we're here, it is also my understanding that everyone's favorite- (better be siting down for this) MB QUART is pure Chinese now.

I wonder how long befor they get ahold of McIntosh too...

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
The way I understand it...MBQuart is still the same manufacturer with the top lines, but now has an entry-level line farmed out to Asian production.  Can't really blame a maker for doing what is necessary to keep a bottom line.  The historian DYohn wrote of this, I believe, not too long ago....and I'm just relying on memory.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

Just got two Monitor 1 amps in. The 70w x 4 and the 120w x 2. It says made in america by ARPA of america. I was told that the guy who made these is the same guy that designed the original Zapcos (thats y I bought them). These amps are pretty big and look kind of like the zapcos. (the way the heatsink is designed is very similiar to the old school studio series zapcos). Has any1 run these before? Its raw power only, no X-overs no frills no thrills. Im hoping it CLEAN raw power. :)

On a side note maybe I can go get my semetry and dynaudios Powder coated and chromed so I can keep up with the new styles. I dont think Ill win the next SQ show unless I chrome up my 3-way Dynaudio setups. Maybe Ill buy some autobaun stickers and cover up the dynaudio tags LOL. Ok enough bashing now. I knew something was bad when a guy I met back in 1994 who had jsut opened a shop then, sold his current shop to someone a few months ago. He said things jsut arent like they used to be back in the late 90's and its not much fun anymore. Sad Sad. I still have the 1800w Hifonics he sold me back then.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart, your memory is correct about MBQ (their aisan electronics and low end stuff is from their new owner, Rockford and comes from Korea, etc.) and nc5er, McIntosh was owned by Clarion from 1990 till 2003 when they were purchased by DMC (Denon/Marantz.)  So even though their amps are still hand made in the USA at the old McIntosh Lab in NY, the money has been going to Japan since 1990.  McIntosh head units (and other electronics) are all pure Clarion.... their new line expected in 2005 or so will be Denon made.

As far as I know, Zapco is still the same company.  They have been through financial ups and downs and have been refinanced a few times, but they are still largely the same company started by Robert Zeff.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic