icon

Measuring Current

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
The alternator would be supplying DC current, not AC. How about you explain to me exactly what you intend to do.
I could be totaly out to lunch on my replies. Since I was under the impression you wish to measure the DC current from the amplifier while it was under load.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

I was refering to measuring DC current from the alternator underload.  I was thinking that the current would be fluctuating with the bass.  If I take a measurement of DCA what will it actually tell me?  Will it be fluctuating considerably?  Whould I need to get a meter that measures the RMS amps for this purpose?

I could also measure the current on the speaker wires since that is in AC so I can size my wires accordingly.  I'm not sure if it can really tell me the RMS ACA on the speaker cables because of the frequency variation compared to house current set at 60 hz in the u.s.

So I think my main question is what should I be looking at too see if I need to replace my alternator with a bigger one?  Will the amprage draw reach a limit which it can not go over. e.g. 90A on a stock alt. or will it overload it and go beyond the 90A?

Poly Dollies
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
If your alternator is not able to keep up with the current demands, then the excess current will be drawn down upon the primary battery.
Please bare in mind there is a limit as to what either will do.
Some vehicle alternators will continue to supply the maximum current it can at all times, and in doing so will over drive and over heat the unit untill failure.
That in itself translates to a shorter service life for you, and the vehicle. You will also note that during this process of trying to supply the excess current that your morning start ups will gradually get harder and harder.
The reason being is that upon terminal failure of the alternator, the battery will be asked to supply the 20-30% of current that the alternator is not able to.
This then, begins the cycle of hard starts, and over / under charging from the alternator. So the primary battery will never be fully charged once you stop driving.
So bottom line is this: If you ground pound all day long, and you notice that your vehicle lights start to dim, or the vehicle starts to shake once normal loads are turned on.
ie. lights, blower, AC,
Then you need to upgrade your alternator with a H.O. one.
I would like to point out that unless you intend to listen to the exact same song over and over, and the volume is set to the exact same level over and over.
Then you will never know what the true current draw is for all music being played.
Question is does it really matter?? The maker has already written on the box what the maximum current draw is for the unit, given a specified load.
The two best things you could ever do for your vehicle and you, is to upgrade all the primary power and ground cables, and the alternator.
It is a investment that you will reap over and over for a very long time.
Just my thoughts on that
Knowledge is power. But only if you apply that knowledge in a positive way, which promotes positive results in others.
EVIL Teken . . .
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

What I would suggest is installing a voltmeter to monitor chrging system voltage.. using an ammeter will only tell you how much current the alternator is putting out, it won't tell you if the battery is being charged.

Using a voltmeter, I'd be concerned when the voltage drops below 13.0 Vdc. For the most part, as long as system voltage remains above 13.0 Vdc, your battery is being charged (or at least is not being discharged)

Thoughts?.. Questions?..

Regards,

Jim

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic