icon

Hook Up Two Batteries

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
D2005l 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

How do i hook up a additional battery in my trunk for my system?

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
using a battery isolator you will be able to charge and maintain the second battery off the alternator.    What makes you think you need a second battery?   Have you already upgraded your alternator?   If you havent then you will probably just add to the problem by adding a second battery to charge.    The first step to gaining power is the source, which is not your battery its your alternator
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
using a battery isolator you will be able to charge and maintain the second battery off the alternator.    What makes you think you need a second battery?   Have you already upgraded your alternator?   If you havent then you will probably just add to the problem by adding a second battery to charge.    The first step to gaining power is the source, which is not your battery its your alternator

Sound advice, however - I would just like to add that an isolater will only be needed if you play your system a lot with the car off. Otherwise, just hooking the batteries up in parallel with each other would be the best (and cheapest) way to go. But as jeff said - it will only add to the problem if the alt. isn't suffiecient for your stereo.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
amador 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
if you want to hook up a battery without a isolator this is what you need to do run your power wire to the back then to a cap from the cap you will go to second battery from the second battey to the amps this works and is proven this is the cheapest way and like i said it works
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
It will also work just as fine to just run a cable directly from one's positive post to the other's, and run both grounds to the frame. Even cheaper. No need for a cap, unless you already have one. ONE THING, however, which I forgot to mention last night - make sure that the batteries are the same make, model, and capacity. Ideally, you would want to use two identical brand new batteries, but as long as you haven't ever (EVER) had your "regular" batt. discharged, it would Probably be ok to add another identical batt. to it.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

amador wrote:
if you want to hook up a battery without a isolator this is what you need to do run your power wire to the back then to a cap from the cap you will go to second battery from the second battey to the amps this works and is proven this is the cheapest way and like i said it works

amador - could you explain to me the reasoning behing putting the cap. in between the batteries, as opposed to between the battery and amp where it should be? I am not a car audio expert (but not a slouch either), but I am educated(college),  trained, and experienced with car repair, including electrical systems, and I am sitting here scratching my head saying "what tha? Why?"

If it weren't for my horse, I would have never spent that year at college.

dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  

"if you want to hook up a battery without a isolator this is what you need to do run your power wire to the back then to a cap from the cap you will go to second battery from the second battey to the amps this works and is proven this is the cheapest way and like i said it works"

Absolutely not. Capacitors go in parallel with the 12V, and it does not matter where a component in parallel is located. You can use a relay (well, probably more like several in parallel) or a switch or some very high current diodes.

You should NEVER add a battery unless it's only for using the system with the car off. Your battery should never get touched by your cars electrical system when the car runs except to charge it. If it does, then the alternator is not good enough.

2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic