the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

ID recomended Infinite baffel? Opinions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
Im sorry /r7 , I miss understood you. Most 6 x 9s Ive ever handled work on the concept of free air design. Is the Kicker 6 x 9s like subwoofer 6 x 9s only? Either way , they all pretty much work the same in an IB set up.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
"Free air" or "infinite Baffle" results in a very low Q, which creates a boomy sound.  This is why smaller speakers like 6X9s can create extended low bass, but power handling and accuracy are sacraficed.  Any speaker can be mounted any way the user chooses; most speakers have better performance in specific configurations.  As long as the user understands and accepts the limitations and incorporates these into the system design, you can do pretty much anything with any speaker (short of using a tweeter as a subwoofer.)
Support the12volt.com
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
Rushman wrote:
Im sorry /r7 , I miss understood you. Most 6 x 9s Ive ever handled work on the concept of free air design. Is the Kicker 6 x 9s like subwoofer 6 x 9s only? Either way , they all pretty much work the same in an IB set up.
i saw them on ebay, and a friend of mine that had been using kicker products for a while mentioned those specific speakers, i dont know if they were designed as a sub or not, but they were said to have quite a bit of bass for 6x9's
quick4321 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
As far as making the 4 12"'s fit. Im pretty sure I can do it. Itll be tight but the trunk of the 94 mustang is a definitely a lot bigger than the older Fox body mustangs. IF this wasnt an Infinite Baffle setup I wouldnt even think of tryign this but the guys at Image Dynamics said it would sound killer so Im excited to build the set up.  Im going to buy a 1" thick board that's made of a very strong wood (recomendations??).  From what DYohn said it sounds like the most important aspect is to keep the airspace in front of the subs from ever comming in contact with the airspace behind the subs. Thanks again for all the help. Ill be sure to document the entire install and take lots of pics.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
recomend 1" MDF found at most lumber yards , Lowes , Home Depot. Take your time and measure and cut the board as close as possible to all the edges and wheel wells and from bottom of the trunk to the underside of the rear deck. Good luck and look foward to seeing the pics.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic