icon

Enclosure and sub recomendations?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t0kinl3lunts 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

I am planning on building a box in the back of my blazer for 2 10's or a 12 (2 12's if they would fitEnclosure and sub recomendations? - Last Post -- posted image.).  Anyway I was looking at infinity perfects or something to get real low without distoring because Its for sound quality rather than just ear shattering bass.  I haze a general idea of the shape, but if you can fit 2 12's or just have a better idea for an enclousure I have a couple pics of that area you can draw it on.

Enclosure and sub recomendations? - Last Post -- posted image.

(the "sub" in the pic would be about a 12")

Thanks for you recomendations in advance,

~Matt~

P.S. where should I put the pics of the Blaupunkt I installed?

My ride: 1986 S-10 BLAZER 4x4
Current project: getting everything running right and putting in a decent system
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Me personaly I like the idea you have just as is with a single 12. Depending on the sub you select and the amp , you could get real low tight bass with out taking up half of the cargo area. A good space saver ! You can put the pics of your amp right here just as you did the sub proposal.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
A single 12" like the Eclipse aluminum is a sealed box that needs between .75 and 1.25 cu.ft. The closer to 1.25 the better for overall performance. Done many vehicles with this same idea as what you have and have also had highly predictable results.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  
Infinity Perfects are some nice subs.  I highly recomend them.  Good sound quality with suprisingly good spl.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  
didnt you hear?! he dont want ear shattering bass just an overall good sq sub, so i would recommend a nice MB quart 12" or a focal 12"
xTimx
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Who are you directing that comment at? I see a eclipse suggested and a infinity suggested, both of which are very nice sounding drivers, so I dont know what you are talking about. The Focal drivers are a very nice sub, and the quart drivers arent bad but for the money I think you can get better. I need something clarified here, are you planning on doing just one enclosure on that side of the vehicle or are you planning on doing one on each side, because that would be a bad thing, but I think thats what you are thinking since you said 2 10's or 2 12's and I dont see anyway you are fitting two subs in a box on that side of the vehicle
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
t0kinl3lunts 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
I need something clarified here, are you planning on doing just one enclosure on that side of the vehicle or are you planning on doing one on each side, because that would be a bad thing, but I think thats what you are thinking since you said 2 10's or 2 12's and I dont see anyway you are fitting two subs in a box on that side of the vehicle

Well it's just gonna be on that side, especially since the spare tire well is on the opposite side in theese older S10 Blazers.  I took some measurements (sorry I didn't post them earlier) and the hheight or the enclosure would be about 15" depth 9" and length, including the area above the tire well is around 24".  For 2 10's I put could one in facing towards the cabin and one facing out the gate but It would probablly be too tight with 2 12's unless I started building it WAY into the bed.  I'd also like to keep the sub to under $200 as its not for competing or anything like that.  The only reason I was thiking 2 12's anyway is because there is a deal at Fry's for 2 12" Infinity's for $150 but they are just references...

Thanks everyone,

Matt

P.S. I will lnk pics to the stereo I installed as soon as I get a host.

My ride: 1986 S-10 BLAZER 4x4
Current project: getting everything running right and putting in a decent system
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
I think you would be best suited to take whatever money you allotted for subs and buy one good 12. With the amount of airspace you are going to have I think this would be the best way to go and as you said its not competion and I am sure you can get more than sufficent output out of a single 12 if you want. This is simply a suggestion and you dont have to listen to me but I just think its the better way to go
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Meh, the comment was probably directed at this guy..... no worries. I too can also recommend the MB Quart subs (they will work great in this application) but in this case Eclipse > MB Quart for tonal response. The sub may be a little more than you want to spend but it is definitely worth it. If you were on the path to 2 - 10's or 2 - 12's, it tells me that you did ot just want good sound, you wanted loud good sound. Another sub to consider that works very well in a small sealed box application that doesn't get enough love, is the Lightning Audio Strike series. It will astound you for performance and depth for it's price.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic