the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

System on a Tight Budget

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

meef wrote:
tho i know yall will say to go have a custom box made, or make one myself, would this qlogic box i was looking at be good?
ARS QLH12512DE
1.25ft^3 Internal Volume
15.75"H x 32"W
15.75 bottom x 9.25 top depth
i dont know any more of the specs on it, but would that be ok/decent for them?

Sorry, partially my fault for getting off track here, but I was slightly annoyed.  Meef.  Is that box for 2 subs, or is the 1.25ft^3 the volume of each chamber?  If the volume of each chamber it will work, if the total box volume it is way too small for 2 shivas.  Check out the Shiva Sealed Application PDF on the adireaudio.com site for more information about the recommended box sizes.  1.25ft^3 per sub is pretty good for the shiva for car audio.  The shiva is NOT a small sealed box subwoofer.  If you need significantly smaller than 1.25ft^3 per sub you should either look at only buying 1 shiva or buying a different subwoofer.  1.25ft^3 is in the range of one of the "High Q" designs the pdf talks about.  Check it out.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
meef 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
the 1.25ft^3 is for the dual enclosure, but ill check to be sure on if s for the chamber or not. errr wait, if it was 1.25ft^3 for each chamber, thatd just be like a foot and a half wide for the whole box right? (i dont know thing one about box sizes)
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 7:28 AM / IP Logged  
look guys, im not trying to be a jerk....just assertive. the onl;y reason i mentionedthat i was a dealer and have had experience with many different products is to better explain that im not suggesting kicker just because a buddy has it and it's loud, and i don't like another brand just because a local shop doesn't carry it, but because i have actual field time with all this equipment and know their capabilities. also you can learn important aspects of car audio online, the internet is a wonderful learning tool. i still probably spend at least an hour a day picking up random info of helpful sites, just like randy rhodes (famous ozzy ozbourne guitar player in the 80's) took lessons every day of his life because you can always learn, but nothing replaces actual experience. some shops are a rip off, and thats too bad vecause it gives the rest of us a bad name. i still wish you guys would see al the benifits of dealer services. you're all being just as one sided as me.
soundmasta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  

meef, i think those shivas would probably work good in a vented box. find one online that matches up with the T/S specs. if the manufactuer has reccomened sizes choose the mid sized one if it will fit in your car.  once you get the box, cover the ports with chicken wire or some kind of mesh, and put what looks like a little too much, (more than 50%) pollyfill. and add more or less to your personal  tastes untill a that bass is as low and smooth as you like.

soundmasta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2004 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

boxmaker85 wrote:
I was at sound advice the other day and this guy said the two 12w3v2 would kill the one 13w7 he had hooked up.  I couldn't believe what he just said.  Comparing a budget sub to a $1000ish sub is crazy.   !

reading that made me think on a comp i was at. my shop had an 02 eclipse with a kicker solo x 18 and 2400 watts, very rough system because it was only about 1/3 of the way finished. we just wanted to test it. any way, we went up vs. an older hatchback mustang with 2 13w7's and almost twice as much power, it was close but we edged it out by almost 1 db. just thought that might be interesting.

Page of 12

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic