need feedback, experience and tips

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
04r1belgium 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I will be getting my new BMW 5 series on dec 1st,and I was thinking of fiberglassing an enclosure to replace the prefab MDF box my sub is in now. If I FG an eclosure, I can make it nice and flush with the side of the trunk. I have a couple of questions for you gurus though...
The equipment Im going to install is:
1 x Rockford Fosgate 1051s (1000Wx1@4Ohm)
1 x Boston Acoustics Pro 12.5LF
I know I need a 1 cu ft enclosure, however what I'm more interested in is how thick should my FG be ? 3/4" or can I get by with less ?
I bought about 22 square ft of FG mat, and half a gallon of resin. Is this enough or should I order more ?
I also have about 1 gallon of filler (Rage Gold type), will this be enough ?
The car has a 170A alternator stock. Will I need a cap ?
Can anyone familiar with the amp tell me is this system will hit nicely ?
Any tips you can give me for the enclosure will be appreciated. If the box goes OK, my next project will be an amp rack with some neon in it. But I think most of that will be done in MDF, as it's mostly flat surfaces.
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
You probably will only need about 1/4" of fiberglass. Remember, glass is much stronger than MDF, but only with curves.
What ounce weight of mat did you buy? 2 oz should be a good start. You may also want to add Q-cells, talc, or sawdust as filler to get more out of the resin.
If there is a flat portion of trunk area, consider making it out of 3/4" MDF. This will give you a good start, and a solid base to work.
What molding fabric did you choose? Lycra, speaker cloth, trunk carpet? This will help decide how many 'glass layers you will need.
Remember, glass is strongest with curves.
DXAV
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

Like dxav said it depends on what weight of fg you got as to if it is enough.  And also depends on how much you're fging and how thick you need it.  1/4-1/2 inch glass is good for what you've got, but like previously stated it all depends on where it is (curves or flat areas).  As far as caps, maybe a 1 or 2 farad cap but for that alternator you've got I would say don't worry about it (everyone's got their own opinion on caps).  Get more resin.  Like another gallon (on top of you're half gallon).  As far as filler, one might be good.  All depends on how much you sand and how much you need to make it good and smooth.  Rage gold sands like chalk so.... depends on how you do it.  Good luck.

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2004 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
MMmmmmmm rage gold cant begin to say enough about it. I love that stuff.
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
yes! love the r.g.! finally got a better discount on it today for $23.16 a gallon. Im not bragging. Im just happy. lol peace
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic